Tip about Logos

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by axitguy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. axitguy

axitguy LawnSite Member
    Male, from Ontario

I'm always doing research when I'm not working. I search classifieds and other competition websites. One thing I find often in my researching are the same logos and photos used repetitively among businesses.
    Customers are smart and also notice this little detail. The customer that notices similarities in ads might just pass your business ads and go onto another with unique advertising or website design. Stand out from your competition by using your own material. If you don't have the talent to design a great logo then spend the little extra for an artists or graphics designer to make a logo for you.
    Nike paid a student $ 35.00 for theirs and is now a world famous logo.
    Anyways that's my personal view for those that want to excel.

2. Homer1

Homer1 LawnSite Member

Yep.. Branding is huge, and memorable in most situations. A good logo and slogan can take you far.

There are so many easy ways to get hands on service now a days with decals, uniforms, business cards, there's really no excuse for not using one or more to help you!

TrainingWheels likes this.
  3. Lawnline

Lawnline LawnSite Member

The reason for that is because most aren't willing to pay extra for custom work. In today's world, most template websites, business cards, flyers, logos, etc., look better than cheap custom ones. To get custom work that is better than today's templates, you're going to be putting out A LOT more than $35.

As a fun side note, Phil Knight (Nike founder) didn't even like the Nike swoosh at first.

TrainingWheels and tonygreek like this.
  4. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I swear half the LCOs in my area use this one from Vista Print.

IMG_3337.jpg

5. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. Crazy!

6. Matthew Heinecke

Matthew Heinecke LawnSite Member

I see that same Vistaprint template everywhere too! I used a Vistaprint template, but I dug deeper and moved things around quite a bit. Some of these guys aren't even trying.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  7. Steve5389

Steve5389 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Jacksonville, Fl

I'll be honest I have it and I don't like it. But it was great for just starting. Whenever I meet a new potential I always give them my card and I had one lady say, "Oh I've seen your card around." No she didn't. She seen somebody else's.

I'm now trying to think of a name for a LLC that is not taken, and then create a logo. Guess I might just leave that to the pro's. I'll try and find a local company.

8. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I think "Steve Will Cut You" would be a memorable name. My company name was already registered over on the west coast so I added the county in the LLC and then filed a DBA so I didn't have to have a long company name and LLC on all my signs and cards. So you could be Steve Will Cut You of Duval, LLC, DBA Steve Will Cut You.

9. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: totally see that everywhere too.

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

To clarify Todd's post a bit, if you're an LLC (or Inc, ltd, etc) you are not "usually" required to have it on a logo and a DBA isn't required to drop the LLC. Your individual state, and any states you may want to do business in, can tell you more. I haven't yet run into a state that requires it.

Use the official, full name on business docs, in your web site's footer, etc, but your logo, thankfully, does not require that horrid little design ruiner.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017