• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Tip Of The Day - 1/12/06 - Drinking On The Job

Sean Adams

LawnSite Gold Member
Not really a tip - maybe more of a warning....saw on the news yesterday that a study shows that 90% of people have at one time or another drank on the job - and I'm not referring to GatorAde... shocked me - ever had this happen in your dealings with your employees?

lawnjockey51

LawnSite Member
When I worked for the phone company in Chicago back in the early 70's it was not only normal, but almost expected. The unofficial rule for linemen was to "be able to drink for 12 hours and still get the truck back to the garage."

jc50292

LawnSite Member
I for one love to have a beer after mowing my lawn, but I seperate that from mowing someone else's lawn. This sort of thing may be acceptable in someplace like Germany, but my business is here in the States. Stick with the Gatorade and water guys.

MarcSmith

LawnSite Fanatic
i know that i have had the occasional beer at lunch when i working for tglc and Even my own Company. But it did not happen often....I was never on the job chugging.

BSME

LawnSite Senior Member
sorry I'm a little late to this one...

but I never understood those homeowners that offer you a beer when you show up...
for one... you're driving around all day
two.. I'm about to work on YOUR yard

weird

olderthandirt

LawnSite Platinum Member
BSME said:
sorry I'm a little late to this one...

but I never understood those homeowners that offer you a beer when you show up...
for one... you're driving around all day
two.. I'm about to work on YOUR yard

weird
Not weird its a calculated move on there part. Lets have a beer like friends do and now were friends and your refreshed so I'm sure you knock a little off the bill FRIEND.

Paradise Landscapes

LawnSite Senior Member
Gatorade + power drinks for me. I never take drinks from customers' only if they ask me while I'm working. Some actually expect to see some off the bill.
When they ask me, I just tell them ice.