Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you have a customer who tips you every month? well, i have a few, mostly are $5-$10. but, i have one customer, who has been with me for about 7 years, stuck it out through the toughest times, you know, just starting out, not showing up like im supposed to, no time for extras, etc. but in the last 3 years these problems have been eliminated , and we have operated like a professional service. here is what makes me uncomfortable. this client lives real close to my home(6 blocks), they are always asking me to do "little things", trim two small yews, remove one 10 ft arb, and take to dump, put in 1/2 yard of mulch, etc. now, for most customers, the prices would be inflated for small stuff. afterall, going down to remove one arb, and the trip to the dump, plus dumping fees, would cost around $100. i always find myself lowering the fee, trying to compensate for the tip i know they will add to the check. the tip is usually around $20 for mowing, and $30-40 for add ons. i kind of just wish they wouldnt tip me, cus this effects my pricing for these folks. they are sweet people, but i try to keep business business

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
. but, i have one customer, who has been with me for about 7 years, stuck it out through the toughest times, you know, just starting out, not showing up like im supposed to, no time for extras, etc.
If they are a good, dependable customer like you make them sound, you may want to just put up with it and keep going as you have for them if they are happy.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I was thinking one other option would be to try to work with these people as to "work them in" if you are still inclined to "pull your punches" on price. For instance, if they want something out of their yard, work it in on some day that you will be having other stuff go to the dump. (Many of times, people do this anyway). Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Bobby, your concious is bothering you about something, pay it no mind, whatever it was is history now.
Charge a 'normal' price for any service that you do, if customer wants to tip, so be it.
To me, that means they either like/appreciate you and/or your work and it's quality. May also mean they have more money than you think.
You're wearing one hat now, best take dollars that come your way, and say thank you very much.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Does it all equal out? In other words, do the tips make up for extras, or even exceed the extras? If so, I don't see any need in screwing up a good thing. If there comes a point where the tips are on the decline and the customer wants more extras, point out that you have been giving them huge breaks because of the extra they paid. Until then, I say let it ride.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Why are you lowering your price to compensate for the "tip"? Because they are nice people? Charge a normal fee and if they want to tip, so be it...

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Think most of us have has similar experiences. Having the same customers from when starting the business. Myself. I have customers for 27 years. If not the same owner, the same address.

It appears that you have a good thing with that one customer. If they are providing the tips regularly. I don't see what the problem is. It's up to you if you want to standardize your pricing.

And that you may want to. For reason that if you charge one customer a certain price, they may chat with them and so. "Oh no, my Bobby don't charge us that much" and they even omit the fact that they tip you........

Just a scenario you will may need to deal with.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know "the right thing" to do, is charge my fee, and let them tip if they want. i just seem to find myself going like, "ok, this should be $75, i know they will give me a $20 tip, so ill mark it as $60." just effects my billing, dont know why.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I am all for the being the nice guy but I would have to agree with the others and charge them the normal fee. You may want to just include a letter in their bill stating tipping is not accepted if it will make you feel better. True this will cause you to “lose” money but it might make you personally feel better.

Gravely_Man

·
Registered
975 Posts
Bobby, you do have a heart! A small one, but there is one in there. Seriously though, only you know your customers and have to do what's best for both you and them. As for me; I don't have a heart. I'd charge them full price+thier (manditory) tip. lol

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
i know "the right thing" to do, is charge my fee, and let them tip if they want. i just seem to find myself going like, "ok, this should be $75, i know they will give me a $20 tip, so ill mark it as $60." just effects my billing, dont know why.
And, when they tell others how much you charge, and "those" people hire you, they will wonder why you are so expensive. As "Rodfather" said, just charge your price........It's better in the long run.........
FWIW, I usually refuse a tip twice, and the third time I accept it.......

·
Registered
477 Posts
Bobby.... do what you feel is right for you and the customer.........
I have a friend who's a contractor..... he told me "When someone offers you money, take it!" He was once offered a $100.00 tip, and to be polite, said "Oh, thats really not necessary", to which the customer replied "OK, I only offer once" as he put the $$ away.
I wont take advantage of a customer, or anyone else for that matter, but if a customer wants to give me a tip, I'll almost always take it, and of course thank them.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by geogunn
just be ugly and rude to them a few times and the tip size will probably decrease.:(

GEO
LMAO!!

Bobby, I bet the tips, and the price you would charge when added together would probably wind up the same in the end.

Sounds like ya got an awsome relationship with these clients. Dont change a thing!!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You guys falling for another one of bobbygedd made up stories.
He probably has told more stories about different customers than he has customers. I suspect he works for a large LCO and they swap made up stories about customers and passes them on to lawnsite. One minute he bad mouths a customer and the next he is the sweetest guy or girl to the customers.

Who is the real bobbygedd?

:D :D :D :D

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dean, dean, the dancing machine. heres the scene, dean. i would never cut grass for another company, the pay sucks and you have to fight to even get paid every week. i dont make up stories dude, i just have a very "eventful" life. and thank god for that, it keeps life exciting, cus you guys are boring me to death. i cant believe you never have beautiful chics hittin on you, or people trying to beat you out of money, and u have never even beaten up a nieghbor? sucks to be you, i need a bit more stimulation in my life than most, my guess is cus i have a superior mind, just my guess though. i am very nice to customers, until they try to bone me, then i turn on them like a rabid pit bull. this lady i was speaking of, just keeps me "off balance" when it comes billing time, you see, she was my 5th grade teacher, and since i had her 3 years in a row, we developed quite a relationship. she finally had to pass me, the principle was gettin on her case, said that having a guy in 5th grade, with a full beard, made the school system look bad.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
cus you guys are boring me to death
Yep, just as I though. Another bored internet poster with plenty of stories to make up about their bored everyday life trying to make it more interesting than it is.

For someone who is bored, Internet posting can be like someone writing for those newspapers/magazines that bored LCO owners read that have titles such as 'my babies father must be an alien from another planet cus it sur is ugly'.

Oh wait, now I know where you get your inspirational ideas for stories. :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.