Lawn Care Forum banner
661 - 680 of 753 Posts
1) Engage your clutch at the lowest possible rpm's and still not kill your engine. I have seen so many guys start their engines and rev them wide open and engage their clutches. Big no no unless you like to replace them. Basically operate it like your truck. Can you imagine dropping it in gear at full rpm's? Or dropping the clutch at full rpm's? This stretches out the belts on mowers with hand clutch machines or electric clutches.

2) Disengage your clutch at an idle, most electric clutches act as a brake.

3) Let your engine warm up a bit before running it at full rpm's.

4) Let it cool down a bit before shutting down.

5) Don't shut it off at full rpm's.

6) Keep an extra set of belts and blades with you at all times, sure saves a trip to the shop or dealer. Down time sucks.

7) Don't slide a gas can across a plastic bed liner. It causes static electricity.

8) Be safe and keep safety features in place.

This is a few, but does anyone have other things to add?
Keep it simple, keep moving. Don't do a lot of extras unless your ready to expand. Expanding doesn't always mean more money.

In the manual for my Snapper hydro, it clearly states in bold writing to engage the PTO at full rpm's. I asked the dealer what was the correct procedure, and he also said at full rpm's. I relayed some negative feedback on doing it at full rpm's (from what I read here), and the dude said that the electric clutch is nothing like a manual clutch and should be engaged at full rpm's (I used poping the clutch in your truck at full rpm as an example). So what is the correct procedure? I was also told to pressure wash my machine to increase the life of the machine. I was poking around on the Exmark site, and in the FAQ's section on the site, they say that to pressure wash is a big no-no. Do you guys pressure wash at the end of the day? Not trying to start anything, I just want to do what is best for my equipment.

I have hustler mowers. I have to engage the clutch at full speed. Ive found to try to have the mower moving and stop and engage the clutch at the same time. I do not wash my mowers very often because to does more damage than good. If you do, blow all the water off with a air hose and grease every thing.

I have hustler mowers. I have to engage the clutch at full speed. Ive found to try to have the mower moving and stop and engage the clutch at the same time. I do not wash my mowers very often because to does more damage than good. If you do, blow all the water off with a air hose and grease every thing.
You're not doing your clutch any favors. It tells you right there on the mower not to engage the deck at WOT. Not only is it hard on the clutch, it wears/stretches belts prematurely.

In the manual for my Snapper hydro, it clearly states in bold writing to engage the PTO at full rpm's. I asked the dealer what was the correct procedure, and he also said at full rpm's. I relayed some negative feedback on doing it at full rpm's (from what I read here), and the dude said that the electric clutch is nothing like a manual clutch and should be engaged at full rpm's (I used poping the clutch in your truck at full rpm as an example). So what is the correct procedure? I was also told to pressure wash my machine to increase the life of the machine. I was poking around on the Exmark site, and in the FAQ's section on the site, they say that to pressure wash is a big no-no. Do you guys pressure wash at the end of the day? Not trying to start anything, I just want to do what is best for my equipment.
I pressure wash the bottom of the decks, but not anywhere else. Just use your blower and a garden hose for the rest. Just make sure that deck is clean and dry. All that dead grass and water will rust it out in a couple of years.

Dont send grass clippings onto areas you'll have to come back and blow them off. Adds time to your day.

But what if I have too? Theres a choice chart i give to my guys.

Always choose.....

Yard before street
Sidewalk before street
Street/sidewalk before bldg
Bldg before car
Car before glass
Glass before person
Adult before kids but if this is your necessary choice then quit for the day, get it next time.

It's simple but the applications are endless and it is how I explain the issue to my new guys.

Dont send grass clippings onto areas you'll have to come back and blow them off. Adds time to your day.

But what if I have too? Theres a choice chart i give to my guys.

Always choose.....

Yard before street
Sidewalk before street
Street/sidewalk before bldg
Bldg before car
Car before glass
Glass before person
Adult before kids but if this is your necessary choice then quit for the day, get it next time.

It's simple but the applications are endless and it is how I explain the issue to my new guys.
Chute blocker works for all the above scenarios.

Don't finance equipment that you want but really don't need. Example: Don't finance a $500 pro series Chainsaw if a $200 30cc saw with a 14" bar will do anything you're going to ever need a chainsaw for.

Buy quality hand tools. Example: Don't buy a crap $10 shovel when you can buy a contractor grade shovel for $20

Don't take on too many accounts too quickly. example: Taking on more work than you can do will lead to poor quality jobs and LOTS of stress.

Don't talk politics with customers. Example: Customer starts complaining about Trump, Bernie, or any other politician. Smile nod and agree while believing whatever you want

Always carry a hose on your rig

Don't finance equipment that you want but really don't need. Example: Don't finance a $500 pro series Chainsaw if a $200 30cc saw with a 14" bar will do anything you're going to ever need a chainsaw for.

Buy quality hand tools. Example: Don't buy a crap $10 shovel when you can buy a contractor grade shovel for $20

Don't take on too many accounts too quickly. example: Taking on more work than you can do will lead to poor quality jobs and LOTS of stress.

Don't talk politics with customers. Example: Customer starts complaining about Trump, Bernie, or any other politician. Smile nod and agree while believing whatever you want

Great advice, I'm researching now ,such as battery with interchangeable pieces to cut down maintenance some

Sorry but I'm not just agreeing with them no matter what they say, in my book that's basically lying. I'm standing up for my political candidate I'm not going to shove it down their throat but I'm not gonna just agree with whatever. I like everything else about your post though.

Sorry but I'm not just agreeing with them no matter what they say, in my book that's basically lying. I'm standing up for my political candidate I'm not going to shove it down their throat but I'm not gonna just agree with whatever. I like everything else about your post though.
It's not lying, it's just being polite and avoiding a confrontation with someone that's putting money in your pocket. I tell anyone that works for me that when someone bashes the president, says something homophobic or racist, starts talking about something like climate change, pit bulls, vaccines, etc......they're to Keep their mouths shut.

Personally, I just agree with them by nodding and say things like "yup." I could give a rip about most politics, so maybe that's easier for me, but I would advise anyone running a business in this day and age to not get sucked into those conversations. I've seen people lose their businesses over it. A bar where I used to do my fantasy football league literally lost all of their beer suppliers and shut their doors over a comment about immigration that the owner made to a patron that got recorded and went viral on facebook. Within hours, there were protesters blocking the entrance and the video had found its way onto the local news.

We live in a different worlds these days with that stuff unfortunately. It really is a shame how petty people can be.

It's not lying, it's just being polite and avoiding a confrontation with someone that's putting money in your pocket. I tell anyone that works for me that when someone bashes the president, says something homophobic or racist, starts talking about something like climate change, pit bulls, vaccines, etc......they're to Keep their mouths shut.

Personally, I just agree with them by nodding and say things like "yup." I could give a rip about most politics, so maybe that's easier for me, but I would advise anyone running a business in this day and age to not get sucked into those conversations. I've seen people lose their businesses over it. A bar where I used to do my fantasy football league literally lost all of their beer suppliers and shut their doors over a comment about immigration that the owner made to a patron that got recorded and went viral on facebook. Within hours, there were protesters blocking the entrance and the video had found its way onto the local news.

We live in a different worlds these days with that stuff unfortunately. It really is a shame how petty people can be.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But if someone says something that is morally wrong I don't care how much their paying me im calling them out on it.

I try to avoid any conversation if possible. but if someone wants my opinion I will not hold back.gotta stand up for yourself like you do

661 - 680 of 753 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.