1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eric ELM, Apr 16, 2001.

1. MarktheMower

MarktheMower LawnSite Member

A much better alternative is to find a real signpainter (ah hem!) to letter your gas cans professionally!

2. MarktheMower

MarktheMower LawnSite Member

Inexperience! :D

Enjoi829, Steve5389 and JLSLLC like this.
  3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Heres one for the new guys. Watch out for cars! Nobody cares how close they get to you, or your vehicle!

I was on a busy street working. My cones (that were inches from my truck) kept getting knocked over. After the third of fourth time i stuck a screwdriver into them, non handle end sticking out. Sure enough they didnt get knocked over again..

Edit: glad my mirror was tucked in.

FromUndaChz and sjessen like this.
  4. On a call

On a call LawnSite Silver Member

The new method of keeping folks away.

Today I was working near a busy street 5 lanes. I was using my bobcat removing soil. Now would you think people when they are the only one heading down the road could move over one lane ???// NO NO NO OH NO too much to think about. I could see it on their faces as they drove by. LIke I am an inconvience to them. Not just one but many.

So I guess it is my fault huh.

MarktheMower likes this.
  5. On a call

I wonder if they would get the hint if I placed a boulder in the road...now that would be my fault.

Perhaps one of those chalk drawings of a hole in their lane that would swallow a car. Hmmm...I can see it now he caused me to have an accident. But what if they hit me ??? He was in the way... :)

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Maybe you guys should invest in one of these

ricrey99 and JLSLLC like this.
  7. River

River LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

Ive got a couple signs like that and I've got cones and a few of those round things. They are worth the money since people stay away from your working aread

8. On a call

Okay I wish I had a photo to share.

One of my spray rigs is a 7500 International with all kinds of lights we are followed by a arrow board. So now you would think no one would have problems seeing you right.....but you would be wrong !!!!!

We had one lady on a cell phone almost whipe out the arrow borad truck another guy....passed up the arrow board and just about took use outon an exit ramp he stopped and started flippin us off calling us all kinds of names....I made the mistake of flipping him back....the about came unglued. Then we had another who on a two lane off ramp flying about 80 just about took out the arrow board slide sideways and flipped us both off......Idiots

morons should not drive

River likes this.
  9. River

River LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

I'd put down some spike strips :)

On a call likes this.
  10. Rynno

Rynno LawnSite Member

Look professional at all times. Don't show up in workout clothes and a bandana. Keep truck and equipment looking new. If the customer sees you take care of your equipment nicely then they will know that you will treat there property the same way