Lawn Care Forum banner

TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy

1M views 752 replies 466 participants last post by  OakNut 
#1 ·
1) Engage your clutch at the lowest possible rpm's and still not kill your engine. I have seen so many guys start their engines and rev them wide open and engage their clutches. Big no no unless you like to replace them. Basically operate it like your truck. Can you imagine dropping it in gear at full rpm's? Or dropping the clutch at full rpm's? This stretches out the belts on mowers with hand clutch machines or electric clutches.

2) Disengage your clutch at an idle, most electric clutches act as a brake.

3) Let your engine warm up a bit before running it at full rpm's.

4) Let it cool down a bit before shutting down.

5) Don't shut it off at full rpm's.

6) Keep an extra set of belts and blades with you at all times, sure saves a trip to the shop or dealer. Down time sucks.

7) Don't slide a gas can across a plastic bed liner. It causes static electricity.

8) Be safe and keep safety features in place.

This is a few, but does anyone have other things to add?

See less See more
#4 ·
In the manual for my Snapper hydro, it clearly states in bold writing to engage the PTO at full rpm's. I asked the dealer what was the correct procedure, and he also said at full rpm's. I relayed some negative feedback on doing it at full rpm's (from what I read here), and the dude said that the electric clutch is nothing like a manual clutch and should be engaged at full rpm's (I used poping the clutch in your truck at full rpm as an example). So what is the correct procedure? I was also told to pressure wash my machine to increase the life of the machine. I was poking around on the Exmark site, and in the FAQ's section on the site, they say that to pressure wash is a big no-no. Do you guys pressure wash at the end of the day? Not trying to start anything, I just want to do what is best for my equipment.

#5 ·
Eric,
Lots of good advice there. Even for some of the guy's that have been in the business for a while. My dealer told me that I should let my engine run and COOL down a bit before shutting it down. He said it's not good to shut your engine down right away. I will let it run while I blow off the drives and walks, about 3-5 minutes. Engine dosen't backfire and shuts off smooth. To engage my blades on my Walker (geardrive) I just have engine off idle, same to disengage. Saves on the belt.
Mowman

#6 ·
You grease your equipment, change oil, and other P.M. on a regular basis BECAUSE this is your living not your hobby. When a piece of equipment is down it is money you don’t make. If going out to eat cost more than to repair your mower, trimmer, whatever, buy some bologna and hamburger helper and eat on the mower day and night.

Also, do not let any one set your price good customers are gold, whiners are a dime a dozen “ we can possibly meet so and so price if it is in writing and legitimate” haggling just is not worth the air to do it. You cannot have every lawn as some people are cheap and some of the cheapest son of a !#^#@! ichs live in three story mansions with prize winning lawns.

Hope this helped a little.

[Edited by Freetime on 04-16-2001 at 11:21 AM]

#8 ·
Double D,

I have an electric clutch on my 10 year old 430 JD and I have never replaced the clutch. I always engaged it at an idle when I used to mow with it, but it's diesel so it has enough low end torque to do this at an idle. It sure seems like a lot of jolt to the whole machine to kick the clutch on while the engine is screeming full rpm's.

If your manual says to do this at full rpm's, then I guess you should. Sounds to me like they just want to sell you parts for it. An electric clutch should engage at an idle just fine if you have enough torque to power it. 2000 rpm's should be plenty of speed to start up the blades, but bring it down to an idle before shutting the blades off.

#9 ·
I always engage and disengage my blades at idle or a tad above. My dealer agrees this is the correct way also. One thing I learned the hard way was, you should always have backup equipment. Downtimes sucks! Also keep your blades sharp and balanced. I also agree to let your machines warm up and cool down before running full throtle, and shutting down. Do listen to the good advise you will receive here. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question. Make sure you are licensed and insured. I'm sure there will be alot more suggestions.

#10 ·
air tank ,tire plugs,starter fluid,spare tire in my case one suffices for truck and trailer,little1/2 impact wrenches
that plug into cigerette lighter takes blades and tires
of no sweat,exstra blades an belts,sting stopper clorox will work,firstaid items ,12 volt quick starter
common sense and a sense of humor for the days when you discover NOTHIN IS GOING TO GO RIGHT TODAY

#12 ·
I like the clutch on the truck comparison .....it kinda makes sense ...don't it ...
good advice above ....when you pressure wash ...don't at full pressure ....blow off & GREASE after ....besides extra blades, belts, plugs, GAS, ....just do the job RIGHT the FIRST time ....and you'll grow straight & tall

#16 ·
When you name a thread on Lawnsite, name it something on the list of searches on my Lawnsite Search Link Page. This way it will show up when someone does a search. For example, I named this one Tips so when someone goes to my links page and clicks on Tips from Members, this one and 38 other thread turn up. From getting tipped for good work, to tips on striping lawns. There tips on equipment, blade sharpening, and blade tip speed.

If you name a thread "I have a question" like some do, it won't show up unless we do a search on Question, so just put in what the question is. For example: "I have a question on ZTR's" This way it will show up when you click on ZTR's on my search page.

I just thought I would try to make it easier for all members. :)

I do have more things to add to this Tips Thread, but I will let other members throw in their tips. ;)

Keep it going, there are some good ones here.

#17 ·
1, Keep a tow-rope or chains in the truck, for when you dump the mower in a pond or get stuck.

2, When blowing/cleanups check for open windows or doors. I've known way to many people who forgot to check and lost the contract when the customer has leaves/grass/dust in the house.

3, Look out for poison Ivy.

4, Always have buisness cards on hand.

5, Cary a can of wasp spray in truck. For when you hit a hive, customers love it when you spray them so thier kids can play outside. And you dont have to worry about them next week. I swear thoes suckers remember you.

6, Cary a tool box in the truck or bolt a locking one to your trailler. Remember to include belts, and extra pins.

7, If you loose a pins but dont have extras on hand trimmer line works untill you make it back. darn brake/clutch pins get lost to often.

8, Keep a extra trimmer head/spool in the truck.

9, Remember to make shure your mower will fit past that gate when pricing the job.

10, Make sure everything on truck and trailer is secure. And drive safe, look out for thoes idiots who are blind when it comes to your trailer.

#23 ·
Everyone seems to have just about covered the all the dos,and don'ts.I always carry a homemade spring device i made out of a piece on cable to grab the springs easy off and on. Eric what Double D was saying about his Snapper Hydro is the same thing in my manual i always engage them a full throttle,have been doing this for over 8yrs now never had a problem,When this one goes ill be getting another just like it.Cuts so much better than my scag it unreal. Even a friend of mine who is a lawnmower mechanic said to engage them at full throttle,and he is a very fine mechanic. But i do it different with my Z-Master i engage a least throttle possible. Marks Mowing Service

#24 ·
Always double check, triple check if your not that smart, your trailer to truck connection! Cross your safety chains too, if it does come disconnected the chains act as a cradle to hold the tongue.

If you lose your trailer then none of the above really matters...........

If you lose your trailer you better have good insurance and a good lawyer.........

Check your lights before leaving................

Check your oil levels.........daily......this stuff ain't cheap.......

Oh ya, hug your wife and kids every day and before you leave & tell them you love them...........you might run into somebody that didn't check their connection!

#26 ·
Keep your mouth in check on customers property. Nothing like spitting out a flurry of cuss words to look over your shoulder and see them standing there.

Also, it doesn't sound very professional for customers to hear inappropriate things.

Sunblock (I'm working on this myself)

Don't be in too big of a hurry that quality gets sacrificed. Only put your name on the best you can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.