Tips for starting a company in August

igotatreemonymouse

LawnSite Member
I'm looking for some advice as to how I should approach starting my company in August.

For the first couple years, I'm looking to mow yards and do spring / fall clean-ups. I am a solo operation. August is obviously not the ideal time to get this thing off the ground.

Should I try to get mowing accounts this late? Or just focus on fall clean-ups?

Any other tips are appreciated.

tannerbug

LawnSite Member
Go for mow accounts they will be few and far between and fall clean ups are right around the corner. Save your money and get a job to make some marketing money starting late winter all the way trough the spring. Then you can see where you are client wise. Maybe more marketing are a part time job. Best of luck
Posted via Mobile Device

recycledsole

LawnSite Gold Member
Depends on your area. I started basically in October a few years back (not doing snow) and I got plenty. But there is a lot going on in my area. Probably plenty to do in boston.
If you do start out you can do aerations, overseeding, fertilizing (may require a licensed), and leaf removal is big im sure. Mulch installation and pruning as well. Check out stihl kombi - its a multitool with a string trimmer, hedge trimmer, pole pruner. I use those attatchments basically although there are more. It helps save space and money. You can rent the aerator if you do that. Craigslist can help you advertise. Saving money by getting a winter job could help as well, but you have to decide that for yourself. Read through these forums, there is a ton of info on here. Use the advanced search feature. Good luck

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
you're in boston.

Start with putting the word out for fall clean ups.

there is more than enough work to go around, dimply because people want it done now.
capitalize on the fact that you have NO backlog because you have no current customers, so you CAN do it now.
so don't compromise price, the work will come solely from demand.
You will need a helper.
A back pack blower,
tools
and a push leaf blower.
a mower would help, but not 100% immediately necessary (technically)

focus on one time work, for now.

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
you're in boston.

Start with putting the word out for fall clean ups.

there is more than enough work to go around, dimply because people want it done now.
capitalize on the fact that you have NO backlog because you have no current customers, so you CAN do it now.
so don't compromise price, the work will come solely from demand.
You will need a helper.
A back pack blower,
tools
and a push leaf blower.
a mower would help, but not 100% immediately necessary (technically)

focus on one time work, for now.

TP you trying to ruin this kid or what? That ain't all bad, but whoa Charlie that ain't right.:nono: TP you don't think a mower would help someone starting a LAWN SERVIVCE??:hammerhead:
OP go to work and do what you can like TP just said. I recommend you have a mower if you want to do yard work:laugh:
There is never a bad time to start something new. Life is beautiful that way. Mowing lawns ain't no diff. I quit my last job on August 28, 2008. Two weeks before my wedding and a week after closing on a house. Talk about taking life by the horns! Don't forget the economy back in 2008 wasn't great. If you had a job you felt "lucky".
I had $12K in my bank. The house had just cost us $6K. I had a plan, some work lined up, and a woman who supports and loves me no matter what. I felt I was ready.

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
I'm looking for some advice as to how I should approach starting my company in August.

How old, will this be your only source of income, single, married, kids?

Do you have enough cash behind you to survive for a year without the business making a profit?

Then will you still have money left over to buy equipment?

Do you already own a tow vehicle?

Most people hire Landscapers in the spring. Though there are people that will mow their own lawn yet do not want to do their own fall clean ups.

Will you be able to get enough clean ups this fall to make enough money till the spring? I do not think so.

Are you employed? If yes then maybe better to wait till spring to start. Time to get set up and have an advertising plan set up and implemented.

Glenn Lawn Care

LawnSite Silver Member
It will be hard to get mowing accounts in mid August. I'd start with fall clean ups this year since they are right around the corner and then hit it harder come spring.

205mx

LawnSite Silver Member
Not true, we've added over 20 accounts since July.

I would buy a mower, maybe in the winter- when the broke guys sell them.

As for work now, focus on mulch for the holidays. And cleanups.

What skills do you have?
Also, get to know the players on here. Know the small guys and the mid sizers and the big dogs. They all will have something to contribute. Even the first responder. It wasn't long ago(month?) that he was asking similar questions.

I'm a mid sizer, Larry in Alabama gives sound advice for guys who want a small 1-2 man op. Efficiency is a good poster. And TP is typically pretty good for mid size guys.

Keep on lawnsite. And there are such things as stupid questions. But if you're new, then you should ask them.

Again, what skills do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
Larry is a liar and gives that as advice. He told a young member to lie in court. I don't forget things like that. Nuf said?

205mx

LawnSite Silver Member
Larry is a liar and gives that as advice. He told a young member to lie in court. I don't forget things like that. Nuf said?

Never saw that, so I cannot comment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums