• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Tips for successful troubleshooting:

cmurphy128

LawnSite Member
Tips for successful troubleshooting:

Keep it simple! Always check the easier things first, working towards the more complex!

Never assume that a system or component is working properly. Verify it!

Check only one area at a time and don't move on to something else until you've eliminated the system or component as the cause for your problem.

If you become frustrated, take a breather and walk away from the problem for a while. Don't allow your emotion to control your logic.

When in doubt, always refer to the proper repair instruction manuals for information and guidance.Tips for successful troubleshooting:

alpine692003

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yes, always look for simple/basic troubleshooting procedures.

I was trying to start my backpack blower up the other day and it wouldn't start.

I was pissed off, shocked and in dismay. I filled it up with 50/50 gas, I was certain.. I kept pushing the tube in to fill it with gas.. tried for 10mins..

I then said FREAKIN HELL!

I looked at the machine and said, oh damn! the spark plug wire came off, I think it might help plugging that back in and starting it.

BOOM, it starts up..

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
Originally posted by hole in one lco
Don't forget to put the on switch in the on position.
Yes I am guilty of doing that too many times. Or having the blade engaged

charlies

LawnSite Senior Member
hmmm, that may have been my point. thanks for lookin out though:D

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
I read right over it Charlies. If you hadn't of pointed it out, I wouldn't have cought it. I knew what you meant (and cmurphy128, too) (wish I could use 50:1 ..but this bent shaft homelite I traded my Shinds. for uses 32:1)