1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tips needed for laying dormant sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by pg250, Feb 16, 2010.

1. pg250

pg250 LawnSite Member

I am going to put down some St Augustine sod this week for a customer. We are still in the twenties at night here in northern Louisiana. Since it is dormant should it be watered any less or the same amount as usual? Should I use a lawn roller? Are there any other things to be mindful of since it is dormant? Thanks in advance.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Just make sure your ground is tilled well, keep it watered mainly to settle the sod into the soil. Yes, I'd roll it. The problem as I see it is trapped water underneath the sod and it freezing along with the roots. How much are you putting down. It might be a little costly but I would advise the client to buy some garden fabric (White stuff that looks like tobacco bed canvas) and cover the sod if a hard freeze is expected. Think of it as tomato plants. Plants are plants and freeze is freeze. Another technique on sudden freeze is to run the sprinklers. 99% of the time--nothing will happen.

3. pg250

pg250 LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply. I will be putting down 2 pallets (approximately 1000 sq ft). Unfortunately they don't have a sprinkler system. I am going to use a tiller as the soil is compacted. This customer laid sod 2 years ago (themselves) and it died; I don't want them to have to repeat that; they had also put down mushroom compost. This yard has a lot of shade (obviously not at the present time).