• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Tips on going door to door

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010

LawnSite Senior Member
i will soon start distributing pamphlets for my first year...i have the attention of doing a few door to door, personaly im not the best at selling ,but will give it a shot to see if im getting any accounts by doing this...

anyway any tips on what to say?? im thinking basic my name,owner of this company,here to offer my services for summer,etc

also should i give a estimate while im there if they ask? or should i take note and come back?

give me your opinions,tricks and things you learned from doing door to door

thanks guys:waving:

rob7233

LawnSite Senior Member
Well, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but...

Knock firmly(no Police type knocks) and then stand back away from the door so they can "size you up" and you don't appear threatening (consider turning sideways a bit). Dress so they can see your company logo etc. Or at least dress to look the part. Have your 30 second speech ready to go and be prepared to answer any questions on the spot. Be personable and smile.
Lastly, it really helps if you're really good looking and speak well. Good luck! :hammerhead: :drinkup:

Bob_n_weave

LawnSite Senior Member
My tip is don't do it.

Do you like people knocking on your door to sell things ?

JFGauvreau

LawnSite Bronze Member
My tip is don't do it.

Do you like people knocking on your door to sell things ?
Wrong answer, I have a bout a 15% success while knowing on doors, which is much better than advertising or any other ways.

Most people don't like solicitors, but their is many ways not to become a solicitor.

Remember you have 3 second to make your first impression. You must be a very good salesman, and that can take weeks, months or years. I won't go in all the big details but just tell you general info.

Knock on door, step away, and step down, so the home owner is at a higher level than you. Never carry any clipboard or flyers in your hand, I carry nothing in my hands. Eye contact is very important, smiling and being happy is the more important thing, if you are already sad or "down", don't even try, home owners will see that.

You must get the home owner comfortable with you, if you can bring him outside on his lawn, and you can point out the things wrong with his lawn, and what you CAN do to help him. You have 50% better chance to sell a job if the home owner is OUTSIDE, if hes still in his doorway, forget it. BRING the homeowner OUTSIDE.

I won't tell all my scrips and give away all my experience, but the first minute of talking should be just conversation. To get the home owner happy and comfortable with you.

You start by selling hello and how nice it is, how nice his landscape or his car is, anything to make him happy and to start a conversation, once he is comfortable talking with you, then start talking about business.

I don't want to write a chapter here but their is a lot of stuff to learn about salesman. Once you become a pro, you will be able to "read customers", what type are they, if they are funny or serious people.

And closing line is very important, for core aeration, the closing line that has worked the best for me was. "...So for 50$ I can aerate your lawn.. So you want me to start in the front or backyard?"

Last edited:

kylecal91

LawnSite Member
I agree knocking on peoples doors takes too long and most people don't like it. If I were you (this is what I do and it works) just go door to door and put your flyer in their door and leave, if they like it they'll call you. If someone happens to be outside and they inquire about it then say you know your name, company name (offer to shake their hand if you want) tell them what you do (also try and compliment something like their house, car, whatever people like that). If they ask for a quote I give it to them on the spot but in the past that has hurt me cause I made it too high or too low (that's the price of learning sometimes though). What I would do if you can't make an accurate quote on the spot yet, is tell them you'll call them with an estimate, if they don't like the idea try to give them one on the spot. (that's my 2 cents!)

barlaam1

LawnSite Member
If you are going to do the flyer thing here is what has worked for me. Print the flyer on regular paper. On the top corner place some scotch tape that wraps around both sides. Use a whole punch and punch a whole through the tape. Next slide a rubber band through it and loop it back on it's self.

This makes it easy to put a flyer on someones door handle and it won't blow off with a little gust of wind. Also the home owner has to look at it to take it off of their door.

Just my 2 cents

JFGauvreau

LawnSite Bronze Member
I guess it depends on where you are located, but for ontario and some areas in quebec, door to door works very well.

If you leave flyers you will only get like less than 5% customers out of it, but speaking with a homeowner, is such as better marketing then leaving flyers or on the phone. Just have a better chance of getting a potential customer when your talking to him rather then leaving a flyer.

ConnCut

LawnSite Member
But at the same time, it takes more time conversing with the potential customers than just putting a flyer up and keep going

OP
O

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010

LawnSite Senior Member
thks guys////im startin really soon doing door to door for one of my service and ill promote for lawn cutting

MnGreen

LawnSite Senior Member
Check your city regulations for soliciting.
In my city you can only hand out advertisement, no approaching the
home owner directly to sell service.
If they approach "you" it's different, but I generally get people telling me they don't want
what ever it is I'm putting on the doors.