Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten really good at using a grinder and straight blades...it's a cinch. However, mulching blades are a different story.

I purchased an el cheapo Ryobi angle grinder from Home Depot. Just sharpened them yesterday...I'm guessing it takes some getting used to? Any tips?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If you are refering to the teeth like foils on the lift of a blade then no you dont sharpen them.

Some blades however have two or more shorter curved cutting edges at different heights insteaf of one long strait edge. I have a set of mulching blades that are this way. To sharpen those I use my angle grinder equipped with a 40 grit flap wheel instead of a black bonded abrasive grinding wheel. This makes it much easier to keep the angle and contors of the blades where as a grinding wheel, when used incorrectly can change the contors and angles of the blade.

Here is an example of the type of blade I am talking about. They are the eliminator blades all of the way at the bottom of the list.
http://www.scag.com/bladerecommendation.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't sharpen the wavy part of the blade? Hum... thought that part of the blade also does some cutting. Look at a vertical belt sander instead of a angle grinder. Same principal but much easier to use. The belts I use are 2"x46" 36 grit and it only takes a few passes to sharpen, flip'm over, knock off the burr, and your done.

·
Banned
592 Posts
The wavy part of the blade IS the mulching part of the blade, yes you sharpen it, of course!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.