Tips on watering commercial property?

crusty_crab80

LawnSite Senior Member
Hello,

I am working with a new client on a pretty large commercial property. The problem is that lot is not irrigated. It consists of a large building surrounded by beds. And an even bigger parking lot with islands and beds. Water is available by hose only and the property maintenance guy is too busy with building maintenance, to worry about outside work. Plus furthest plants are ~100 yds away from building.

Property consists of about ~100 trees and about 750 shrubs. Its newer construction, only 2 years old. But the plants look pathetic, spruce trees yellowing out, larch trees with barely buds on them. Nothing blooming, only weeds growing.

They pay a water truck $~350 to come water, but the maintenance guy suspects they dont water, they just charge them and say they did. I have a heavy duty older trailer I was thinking about putting a 300-400 gal tank on it. And using it to water the trees and shrubs. All shrubs with just a wand. Trees with direct root injection/wand.

How much would you charge for just watering? Its abt 15 min drive time from shop. But I can probably fill up there.

How much to water with superthrive? Or miracle grow plant food? Other mixture?

Would a small pump be recommended to power the deep root wand? Tnx!
:drinkup:

herler

LawnSite Fanatic
I would not want to be the one to find out why the guy in the truck is charging $350 and supposedly only watering sometimes, I would much rather let someone else figure this one out. So there you have it, well, have fun.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello,

I am working with a new client on a pretty large commercial property. The problem is that lot is not irrigated. It consists of a large building surrounded by beds. And an even bigger parking lot with islands and beds. Water is available by hose only and the property maintenance guy is too busy with building maintenance, to worry about outside work. Plus furthest plants are ~100 yds away from building.

Property consists of about ~100 trees and about 750 shrubs. Its newer construction, only 2 years old. But the plants look pathetic, spruce trees yellowing out, larch trees with barely buds on them. Nothing blooming, only weeds growing.

They pay a water truck $~350 to come water, but the maintenance guy suspects they dont water, they just charge them and say they did. I have a heavy duty older trailer I was thinking about putting a 300-400 gal tank on it. And using it to water the trees and shrubs. All shrubs with just a wand. Trees with direct root injection/wand.

How much would you charge for just watering? Its abt 15 min drive time from shop. But I can probably fill up there.

Crusty,

Just about everyone in anchorage waters with a tanker truck.

There is a reason for this.
You need a lot of water, water is heavy.

Do you have any idea how long it will take you to fill that water tank?
I don't because we all use a water meter and hook up to a fire hydrant.
We pay for the water from the city.

Water trucks go out bonzer early in the morning. the reason for this is so nothing is in the way so it can just shoot from the black top.
Nobody gets out with a hose.
Just make artificial rain.

Nothing is blooming?
It's August.
It's fireweed season, not bloom season around here.

You're about 8-10 weeks from your first snowfall.

do you have a medical card?
You will need one to legally haul around the water, unless you fill up in the parking lot and only haul a empty tank.
Otherwise DOT cop will snag you.

the property has weeds? Why are they being maintained? No applications?
Two year old planting? Everything is going south? Have you done a soil test?

It's been raining a lot recently, I seriously doubt water/miracle grow is the issue.

Larch and spruce on a commercial property that's only two years old?
I'm trying to think of which one you are talking about?

My advice would not get involved in the watering game unless you're geared up for it.
You can always sub it out.
Heck you can sub it out to me.

Focus on the stuff you can do, like those weeds, soil tests and other stuff you can bill them for, even if you just break even on the watering, it sounds like there is plenty else for you to do.

Watering season is just about done for this year anyway, only a few weeks left, and it;s been rainy.

PM me, Im in anchorage all week.
Ill come take a look at it for you.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello,

I was also just thinking about this 750 shrubs? by hand?

Even if you did 1 gal per shrub, it would take two tanks to just water shrubs, with no waste.

So figure 3 tanks.

Just the refill time and 4 gallons a minute (you hope) from a garden hose?
That's 100 minutes per tank!
3 tanks is 300 minutes just refill time!
That's 5 man hours just filling!

And we haven't talking about spiking/deep rooting the trees yet?

That's a FULL day.

What about Turf? is there any turf?
thats even more!!:dizzy:

Over all your probably looking at, I guess 1400 minutes of work PER day!
There are some days in june/july we water every day!

Your 15 minute drive time is going to be negligible. but it will help you round out a 24 hour day!:laugh::laugh:

24 hours times…heck i dunno $40 an hour for your "water truck" and you.

$960.00? that's not including any miracle grow.

This place is just too big to do with your little trailer thingy.
And I haven't even seen it yet.

The water trucks in town are 4,000 gallons.
Whoever is watering it. (Heck I don't know it could be me!…although Im not recognizing the property description)
Is likely using TWO tanks of water for $350.00

IF someone got out to hand spike each tree, that would be considerably more expensive.
But I doubt this property is specifying that and therefor not paying for it either.

$350 per watering event, just by plant count and assuming some turf, is probably reasonable.

ScottHypsie

LawnSite Member
Why dont you hyrdro jet some pipe to each planter then just run drip line. If your located in Alaska right how long are you going to have to water 4 or 5 months out of the year. Just go for the big money.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Why dont you hyrdro jet some pipe to each planter then just run drip line. If your located in Alaska right how long are you going to have to water 4 or 5 months out of the year. Just go for the big money.
Watering services in AK are generally June through Aug 30.

CAN need it as late as Sept on odd years… but Late Aug thru sept/october are rainy months before it starts snowing round about halloween.

Top Forums