• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

tips on zero turn

armorl&s

LawnSite Member
this is my first year with a zero turn mower toro z master 62". i am having trouble in tight areas with the rear tires tearing up the lawn. is this possibly a air pressure problem any help would be greatly appreciated :help: :help: :help:

NickN

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'll try to explain.This is the easiest method I've come up with as far as explaining.
Slow down to a crawl near the end of your run.
If you want to turn around to your left,let go of your right stick and slowly pull back on your left stick.Enough so that your left tire starts rolling in reverse.Never stop the tire from moving.
Once you get turned around,push your left stick forward,as well as your right stick.
You need to leave one side(the opposing side to the direction you're turning) going straight while your reversing the other side(the side your turning into).

Tonyr

LawnSite Bronze Member
the hydro system isn't very forgiving on the toro, you have to be ultra gentle with the levers. also, the stock tyres, they don't grip well so the machine tends to lose traction and scuff very easy. tyres with more grip actually scuff less, hard to believe yes, but true....so dunno why they use that particular carsyle tyre model, it sucks.

and as said, don't zero turn, but more a 'Y' turn. they really should be called YTR's, not ZTR's , lol.

BALDEAGLE

LawnSite Member
if ya use that groovy little search feature, you'll likely find hundreds of hits on that subject. :p

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
Sometimes, the Y-turn, K-turn, don't lock the inside tire, ect...
Well it just don't always help and work.
Depends more on the terrain and soil condition.

Heavily shaded lawns are a nightmare because they are so tender.
I believe it is caused by a lack of traction and simple physics.

Smitty58

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm having this same problem so when I read this I took the thoughts given and tried them. No matter how slow or k-turn, y-turn I still tear the turf. So much so I wish I had never bought a Z and stuck with the w/b instead. I love the speed and comfort of a z but this is driving me crazy. Do the tires tear less after some wear or not? Seems to me for flat lawns a slick tire would not tear as much but then any hill you'd be screwed. I have a Ferris 1500 btw.