Tire Tracks

MikeTA95

LawnSite Member
I had this problem a lot this year, what do you think, just pain-in-the-butt customers?
We have a lot of residential contracts, mostly tall fescue lawns so we cut at about 3.5 inches with a 48 inch Wright stander RH. We had a couple people complain about the fact that as the mower ran over the grass, the wheels tended to "push over" the grass where they ran through the grass, leaving behind a trail where the mower went. Now, most of the time the lawns would stand back up by the end of the day. However, some did not (the real wet ones) and those people were also the one's who ignored my recommendations to cut back on watering (we had a ton of rain this season, and people still used their sprinklers every other day.) What should I do in the future as one person actually fired me over this.

grass-scapes

LawnSite Bronze Member
I had this problem a lot this year, what do you think, just pain-in-the-butt customers?
We have a lot of residential contracts, mostly tall fescue lawns so we cut at about 3.5 inches with a 48 inch Wright stander RH. We had a couple people complain about the fact that as the mower ran over the grass, the wheels tended to "push over" the grass where they ran through the grass, leaving behind a trail where the mower went. Now, most of the time the lawns would stand back up by the end of the day. However, some did not (the real wet ones) and those people were also the one's who ignored my recommendations to cut back on watering (we had a ton of rain this season, and people still used their sprinklers every other day.) What should I do in the future as one person actually fired me over this.
Don't mow when its wet. Tell the customer that when its too wet it can cause damage. If its because they are running irrigation, you need to let them know. You need to make your customer more knowledgeable about their lawn. Explain that while a fescue lawn needs water to survive, too much water can be just as bad, if not worse. High moisture can contribute to diseases, especially if it is fertilized. between 1/2 and 1 inch per week is plenty of water. Upsell.....tell them about rain and moisture sensors for their irrigation systems. It will save them money in the long run. Use it to YOUR advantage.