Tired of all the drunks

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Rockchoplawn, May 27, 2018.

1. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else having this issue with hiring younger guys? I hire all 18-25 year olds, and the drinking thing is really getting old. You can smell it on their breath and productivity is noticeably slower before lunch time. Which is when I want to be getting the most done to beat the heat. I don’t care if they drink themselves silly on the weekend. But don’t come to work hungover.

I have even found empty beer cans in one of the trucks once. When asked, no one would take credit (shocker). It seems like this has gotten much worse since last season. I just want a productive and professional crew, I would like to have some sort of bonus so they can afford to drink better than busch light to be honest... But I can’t justify having a bonus for not drinking during the week lol. Then we have a competitor who keeps a kegerator in his shop/ facilitates drinking culture. Makes me scratch my head

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Hire some adults. Quit looking for cheap labor. Go back solo. Responsible people usually own their own lawn care business. Many work for LCOs because they can't get away with any of this working in other type jobs. You haven't fired them. They know you are desperate for help

3. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I know workers in the hardest industries : steel hangers / railroad / landscapers / masons / roofers : EVERY crew has drunks and tweakers (landscapers around here mostly just smoke the devils lettuce) . But those guys are usually the only ones crazy enough or experienced enough to deal w the work. So it depends on how much their habit affects their work / life / attitude. You may think it’s slowing them down but who knows maybe u take away their lunch brew and all of a sudden they arent hustling towards lunch time & in pain 2nd half of the day & dragging ass anyway. Btw Not condoning it at all just giving a perspective. My dad used to be leanient w his workers having a beer or shot @ lunch but of course they abused it and started getting actually drunk / impaired which is insane on a lot of work sites. But again my buddy that does steel says they are all running around drunk up there esp after lunch. I’d never allow it but 9 out of 10 ppl are on some type of legal or illegal drug these days so good luck.

4. SS Lawn Care

SS Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Good god this is ridiculous! I am personally sick of these types of people. I don't live or work that way, and I sure as hell don't want to work around others who behave this way, much less have them showing up to my place of business/home. I am 37 now, and I remember going through middle school, intermediate school, and high school in the 90's already annoyed with the persistent and perpetual druggie / stoner culture.

knox gsl and landscaper22 like this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

It's sad to say but you are fortunate to at least have them come in the next day. Wish I could offer advice since I behaved like that when I was young, out at a bar or club until 1-2am and then going to work hungover.

Unfortunately it was just getting old that convinced me to stop. The hangovers just got worse as I got older.

JLSLLC likes this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Everyone who smells like booze gets sent home

Hire 30+
    I think they’re better
    Usually have family and rent
    Responsibilities keep them working

7. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Sounds like time for a random drug test every week.

Rockchoplawn likes this.
  8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

Who do you think you are going to get to work for you ?
    Someone who is supporting a family ? College educated ?
    You cant afford quality workers , unless you pay a quality salary

Charles, hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Its heroin junkies here, at least your guys arent thieves... either way time to replace. I like drinking beers after work but you need to have self control, and not go all out like its a frat party. Showing up for work reeking of alcohol means you consumed a lot more than the average person, and its only time thats going to wear off

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  10. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Raleigh

Try running a house painting business.