1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

tired of the run a round

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Frontier-Lawn, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. Frontier-Lawn

    Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,955

    theres a neighbor of the lawn i cut 2 doors down. there tired of the grass ditch never getting empty (cant be mowed). so they want me to build a block wall on both sides & stones on the botom,to help get rid of the water. Also so it does not need to be mowed. now i have been calling to the county the local city and I'm getting the run around to see if i can do it or if the county owns the ditch. attached is a idea of how she wants it. what to do?

    Attached Files:

  2. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,641

    Why not put a drain tile, not sure what size you would need, and then you could have a nice flat lawn right where the ditch was...
  3. Frontier-Lawn

    Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,955

    or i could tear out all the grass and line it with river stone

    Attached Files:

  4. Frontier-Lawn

    Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,955

  5. RedWingsDet

    RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit
    Messages: 3,556

    Do what sod king suggested.
  6. cgland

    cgland LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,929

    I would go with "new ditch 2" You already have the swale and you know it holds water. Just get rid of the weeds, line it w/ fabric, and stone it in. Use a mix of large and small boulders coupled with some riverstone for the "bottom" and turn it in to a dry creek bed. Plant some water loving plants in it. You don't want to go messing around with regrading when you already have it done.

  7. Frontier-Lawn

    Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,955

    thats what i was thinking to minus the water plants due to no wet winters
  8. B&G Lawn Service

    B&G Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    One way to find out is ask the owner if there is a "easement" stated on there deed? If so the owner of the property is responsible for the maintenance, so you can do whatever but do not "alter" the flow of water! Basically can not dam, divert to another person property or the township/county is able to stop you. Another way is to propose what you want to due to the township/county for construction....tell them you are trying to create a better flow of water using river rock, etc. and your argument will be there is standing water and creating mosquitoes etc.
    If the township/county owns it and there is standing water or overgrown weeds etc. You can use the same agrument as above and get ir done threw the township/county. Either way be sure you proposed that you can do the work!

Share This Page