1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Tires. Replacement for Carlisle 24x12x12 Turf Master

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by captken, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

I was hesitant about the AT101 tires also but after getting stuck a on lakefront edges weekly I decided to try them. They will be the only tire I will run again on a ZTR. I'm able to get 1-2 ft closer to water edge now and that saves tons of trimming time. They do take a little time to get use to but once you master them you'll love them. You'll find that you MUST do a three point turn or you'll tear up turf. That is really the only time you can damage turf. Until you use them you'll never know how good they are.

CGros31 and hort101 like this.
  2. danell10

danell10 LawnSite Member

Carlisle makes damn good tires as you know. You could look at Kenda tires. I've had some. They're good quality and cheaper than Carlisle.

captken and Breezmeister like this.
  3. flintknapper

flintknapper LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't want to go with the AT-101's there is an 'in between' tire that I've been very happy with. Deestone D265 BUT...make SURE you get the zig-zag tread NOT the chevron tread. These don't tear up a lawn and do well in wet grass and on hills. They have pulled me through some muddy spots (albeit spinning) that caught me by surprise also. They do come in your size, but again...be mindful of the tread pattern (see pic).

https://www.amazon.com/24x12-00-12-DEESTONE-Turf-Lawn-Tubeless/dp/B013P5MTBY#customerReviews

Deestone D265_b.jpg
    Deestone D265_a.jpg
    Deestone D265.jpg

captken and hort101 like this.
  4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Those deestone's are a chinese copy of the Carlisle Turf Saver's. IME with the TS's they are quite slick on wet grass and get work hardened quickly. They last forever due to their hardness, but as I said- are slick. Maybe the chinese are using a softer compound.

5. flintknapper

The 'turf saver' pattern (a closely situated Chevron pattern) is the one I warned against. There would not be any distinct advantage to them IMO. The 'zig-zag' patterned ones (as shown in the link and on my mower) do a pretty good job and are in no way 'hard' rubber. I've been running them for about 5 yrs. and have been pleased with them.

chevron.jpg zig zag.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    hort101 likes this.
  6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Well, in your post and pics you mention the chevron vs zig zag tread, where no tire in your pics is actually a chevron tread, and then you have a picture of your tire on top of a Carlisle Turf Master, which is why I mentioned the Turf Saver specifically by name, since it is the one with the tread pattern that deestone copied in your pics.

Regardless, there are several other tires that are in between chevron and turf designs that would be much better suited than those deestones as far as quality and traction goes. There are a couple threads on here with lots of pics of those tires.

7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info on those flint, i've yet to give them a shot but they look decent. I typically stick to my turf treads, i figure there's a reason so many manufacturers run them, and honestly i'm in flat land.

flintknapper likes this.
  8. flintknapper

You can argue the semantics (Chevron) with these tire folks if you like...I'm really not interested.

https://www.kenjones.com/lawn-mower-tread-design-guide

The point I apparently failed to make with you is that there are two distinctly different Deestone D265 tread patterns and one of them (Chevron/Other) is not different enough from the OP's original tread to be worth making the switch. Alternately the zig-zag patterned one (or whatever name suits you) does offer increased traction and might be a viable option for those not wanting to go to a full on traction lug.

That was my offering...nothing more or less. Thank you for your input.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I get it. The point I was making (for those who may be doing a search and find this site, or for those reading and not posting here) was that words matter.

I responded originally based on your first post and pictures, and to that, my response was factual and accurate. I certainly don't know everything, but one thing I do know is that folks like accurate information when trying to find help. I do my best to post accurate info to avoid causing anyone else the headaches I have got in the past when doing a search for something only to find out later that the info I had read was wrong or at least not completely accurate.

Just for the record (which many here already know) these are chevron tread tires below. You can see there is quite a difference between them and the other tread patterns in your pics :)-

100_5097.jpg

100_2107.jpg

10. Skeeterman

Skeeterman LawnSite Member

The Chinese tires are smaller than the big name brand tires even though the size stamped on the tire my be the same, there metric sized , normally shorter and narrower, that’s what I ran into when I bought some Deestones yrs ago.

Ridin' Green likes this.