• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Tis the season for baby grass seed.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Waiting on results from some new experiments--I am using annual ryegrass--because it sprouts quick, and is more visible due to tall growth and the lighter green color.
I am comparing seed planted on --sqft plots cut at 1 inch, 3/4 inch, 1/2, and 1/4.

Also comparing the same seed top dressed with 1,2,3 or 4 ounces per sqft of topdressing soil.

Also, comparing overseeded plots with simulated rolling. I stomped on the seed with my feet: 10, 20 or 30 times. Not much difference so far. Not irrigated--seed planted August 20.

Anybody else? Does rolling actually improve seeding results? Overseeding situation results? Anyone willing to try it--side by side?

BigJlittleC

LawnSite Fanatic
Does rolling actually improve seeding resu
I think if your going to rake and topdress after you have thrown down seed. Rollin is not necessary and just a waste of time. If your just throwing seed on an oversees it can for sure help. Anything that gets the seed off the canopy and into the soil is what you need. Rolling,raking,tamping, whatever method.