Lawn Care Forum banner

TJ Justice-Just Mowing

15K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Will P.C. 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there was a huge thread on this guy a while back...and that DFW and a few others changed their business style similar to this guy's. Anyways I was wondering if TJ Justice is still on LawnSite? What are your thoughts? Thanks and sorry about bringing up an old thread it just really intrigued me.

Thanks everyone...

#27 ·
I think it brings up a good point in that I read post after post where guys new to this business are offering 5+ services. He offers mowing and only mowing.

If I have an irrigation problem, I am calling a dedicated irrigation company. Same with fert, sod, pinestraw. About the only thing I would use a company that cut grass for is hedges and snow.

For business owners, this frees up cash flow, time, headaches, routes, training and many other things.

There is no wrong way to go about what services you provide, but it is something to think about.

#28 ·
I made $18/hr as a crew leader 20 years ago!! I was being sarcastic about the lawn care millionaire and Patrick Cash. Those guys are a dime a dozen online and prey on newbies.

If you want some real advice hire a business coach or find your local SCORE chapter and get set up with a mentor, its free!
Posted via Mobile Device
Well lawncaremillionaire knows what he's doing...he developed service autopilot. Anyways not trying to argue but just mowing knows what he's doing. It works for him and what you do works for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

#29 ·
I think it brings up a good point in that I read post after post where guys new to this business are offering 5+ services. He offers mowing and only mowing.

If I have an irrigation problem, I am calling a dedicated irrigation company. Same with fert, sod, pinestraw. About the only thing I would use a company that cut grass for is hedges and snow.

For business owners, this frees up cash flow, time, headaches, routes, training and many other things.

Great point...people want to hire a master. Not a lack of all trades and a master of none.

There is no wrong way to go about what services you provide, but it is something to think about.
Posted via Mobile Device

#30 ·

Posted via Mobile Device

Great point...people want to hire a professional. Not a jack of all trades but a master of none.
Posted via Mobile Device

#31 · (Edited)
Posted via Mobile Device

Great point...people want to hire a professional. Not a jack of all trades but a master of none.
Posted via Mobile Device
I always hear you talking about justmowing so I checked out the thread linked above. Interesting stuff as he tells you his system which isn't much, but runs like a well oiled machine.

Looks like he started young and busted ass like everyone else and had 125 accounts. He wasn't bringing in enough to run things from a computer at this point. His father became his partner and he bought another business which doubled his size.

His company name is fitting. They don't hold the customer's hand providing 'top customer service'. In fact, it sounds like they avoid the customer after an initial brief phone call.

They advertise price and only price. No flashy direct mail boasting superior quality and customer service.

They found a segment of the population that don't mind working to death and implement an 'employee controlling their own destiny" payment plan which lights a fire under these guy's assess. Don't do a good job, the whole crew of 3 is fired.

I have worked side by side with these types of Mexicans. 5 guys rent a trailer in a trailer park, and they save all their money to send home. They don't care how many hours they work as they are in the USA to make money and only make money. Coming to the USA and working their asses off is how they take care of their family.

#32 ·
I always hear you talking about justmowing so I checked out the thread linked above. Interesting stuff as he tells you his system which isn't much, but runs like a well oiled machine.

Looks like he started young and busted ass like everyone else and had 125 accounts. He wasn't bringing in enough to run things from a computer at this point. His father became his partner and he bought another business which doubled his size.

His company name is fitting. They don't hold the customer's hand providing 'top customer service'. In fact, it sounds like they avoid the customer after an initial brief phone call.

They advertise price and only price. No flashy direct mail boasting superior quality and customer service.

They found a segment of the population that don't mind working to death and implement an 'employee controlling their own destiny" payment plan which lights a fire under these guy's assess. Don't do a good job, the whole crew of 3 is fired.

I have worked side by side with these types of Mexicans. 5 guys rent a trailer in a trailer park, and they save all their money to send home. They don't care how many hours they work as they are in the USA to make money and only make money. Coming to the USA and working their asses off is how they take care of their family.
Yeah like you said a well oiled machine...

#33 ·

Hey Will have you thought about trying this justmowing style? Like PTP did?

#37 ·
Now this is a company you should be looking up to. I personally picked this guys brain for over a month!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=365965
Looks like a great company. Not sure I would pick one over the other (not even saying I'm picking one at all) one is focused more on larger overhead and the other isn't. To each their own...

Great looking shop though.

#39 ·
That is what is possible when pricing jobs appropriately. 200 residential accounts, 30 large commercial and an install division. And he makes more than the guy with 2000 $23 accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah obviously so...however some don't want to do installs. I mean, that's good for the guy that you're talking about, and I'm glad he's doing well.

With justmowing he only does maintenance and still does millions...so, whatever works for that particular owner.

#40 ·
Hey Will have you thought about trying this justmowing style? Like PTP did?
If I remember correctly, he said he needed a few things to make it work.
-large market. Don't know anything about DFW area, but assume it is a large market.
-jam packed full schedule for each crew 5 days a week. His way of paying employees is pointless if they can bust ass and finish up a on Thurs with no work on Friday.
-ability to turn down work that doesn't fit into your niche of the mowing world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.