to aerify or not to aerify

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by superintendent, Oct 2, 2012.

  1. superintendent

    superintendent LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 394

    We have had 3-4 inches of rain in the last week and it stopped tonight. My question is, I have several more yards to aerify should I let them dry up or go for it? I have some that are getting slit seeded afterwards but I will let those dry up a day or so after I aerify them before I do them.
  2. MySide

    MySide LawnSite Member
    Messages: 32

    core aerification on a home lawn? is that really necessary? I can't see that there's enough traffic to create the compaction that we see on a golf course that requires core aerification. I can't justify it myself... just my two cents.
  3. mikesturf

    mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 797

    I would wait until they dry up. Otherwise you will be leaving tire ruts in the lawn.

    I aerate 90% of all my customers lawns.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,296

    Too wet??

    I wish.

    Here I am waiting for it to rain TO aerate. Hasn't rained here in a month. Bone dry rock hard MN clay.
  5. macgyver_GA

    macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 826

    It is possible to get an aerator stuck in the mud... especially in our GA red clay

    Ask me how I know...
  6. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,082

    We can aerate right up until the ground freezes, but I don't want to do it early, if its too dry or too wet... aerating in soggy clay type soil causes the problem of puddling, which means turning the plugs into stoney/gravelly chunks and possible compacted edges around the holes... if the process doesn't promote positive steps towards better tilth, then you are better off waiting, for decent soil moisture...

Share This Page