1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Jan 21, 2002.

  1. summitgroundskeeping

    summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 410

    I'll be turning 18 at the end of March this year and I need to become completely ligit. Can anybody tell me (email, personal message) how to get my Tax I.D. number (general partnership) and anything else I need like workers comp. w-2s, and stuff. Is there anything you guys out there can do for me so I don't have to hire an accountant? I'm a math wiz (compute large problems in my head, yes I'm a freak), but don't know tax laws. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
    By the way, I getting an Isuzu dump truck, and new Great Dane this year too. By the way, how much of a $20,000 truck can you write off?

  2. So do we take it you're not doing the intern thing?

    And I'm not from there but I can help some.

    Tax ID go to your "gov" web site and print out the forms. Would strongly recomend you reg a fictitous name and a DBA at the least.

    W-2 will be done at the beginging of the next year.

    Work mens comp. call your ins. agent. A deposit will be needed to start it. You will also need to know what your yearly payroll is.

    I think you would be able to right off the entire $20k this year if it was purchaced this year. If it was last year the IRS will burn you.

    An accountant knows the tax laws and keeps up with them. I strongly suggest you find a good one.
  3. Daleman

    Daleman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 90

    I am in the exact same boat as you. I live in Lowell however pretty close to ya. I am pretty sure you get a DBA from the Lake County Court Building in Crown Point. I am gonna call there tomorrow to get mine, I'll let you know how much one costs and what the phone number is. If you want to contact me my phone number is (219) 690-1658.
  4. In MO it's $7 for a fictitious name.

    You could have used your SS# for the prior years.
  5. summitgroundskeeping

    summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 410

    I can't do the intern thing until I'm a junior and senior. So I'll just be basically the owner at that point rarly the opperator.
    Any info you can get me Daleman would help me out alot.
    What is a fictous name used for and where do I go?
    Employees only will run w/b 48", 21", trimmers, blowers, and maybe a truck.
    Help me, b/c if this is going to take me months, I need to start today.
  6. Daleman

    Daleman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 90

    I was under the impression that a fictitous name and a DBA (Doing Business As) were the same thing.??
  7. They sort of are. Say you want to register the name; summitgroundskeeping, now that becomes the fictitous name, then your name we will say is Joe Mow, now you become Joe Mow DBA summitgroundskeeping.
  8. summitgroundskeeping

    summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 410

    well why not just use summit grounds keeping as my fictious name?
  9. Even better yet, Since you are not 18 and cannot file for one till you are 18 years of age, and have 2 months or so to make one 2 minute phone call to aquire the proper forms needed, why don't you do that instead of asking on here.

    BTW your Indiana Gov web site SUCKS!!!!!.

    I said that already.

    Sorry for getting pissed but your State gov web site got me pissed off.
  10. summitgroundskeeping

    summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 410

    Do I call 1-800-45-State? The State information center?
    And yes that site does suck, been reading it for months and it does not help at all.

Share This Page