Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might get moved but I thought it would get the most traffic on this board.

I am thinking about moving to Florida (in Minnesota now and hate the cold) and am hoping you can give me the "Good, Bad and Ugly" of living in Florida.

Thank you for all opinions.

Joel B.

· Registered
9,671 Posts
Its kind of backwards here, and they like it that way. The state motto is "we dont care how you did it up north". But the weather is great, and no shortage of customers here, although most are cheap, and will try to rip you off. The employee pool is great too, lots of crackheads and alcoholics. I will never leave though. Climate is great, and i feel superior.

· Registered
1,398 Posts
I'm new here myself and absolutely love the weather. Right now the love bugs are making a mess of things but they'll be gone in a week or two.

If you don't mind heat and humidity this is the place to be, but don't count on getting rich cutting grass. To much competition here to support high revenue for lawn cutters. At least that's what I'm finding in my area. Good luck.

· Registered
11,352 Posts
Think I'll stay where I am thank you...NJ isn't the best place in the world to live, but I don't think it's the worst...at least when it comes to how much we can charge.

· Registered
37 Posts
I can't really compare Florida to anywhere else since I've never lived anywhere else. But Lawnman_Scott's superior attitude is the main reason we don't care how you did it up north. If you come down here expecting to find crackheads and alcoholics, that's what you'll find. If you come expecting to find friendly, intelligent people, that's what you'll find. It all depends on your attitude.

There is a lot of competition but if you do a good job and price reasonably, not cheap, just reasonable, you'll build your business. The weather's great 9 months out of the year but the summers are brutal and every bug in the world lives down here.

No offense intended Lawnman_Scott but you're not superior just because you came from up north.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Originally posted by tyuslawncare
I can't really compare Florida to anywhere else since I've never lived anywhere else. But Lawnman_Scott's superior attitude is the main reason we don't care how you did it up north. If you come down here expecting to find crackheads and alcoholics, that's what you'll find. If you come expecting to find friendly, intelligent people, that's what you'll find. It all depends on your attitude.

There is a lot of competition but if you do a good job and price reasonably, not cheap, just reasonable, you'll build your business. The weather's great 9 months out of the year but the summers are brutal and every bug in the world lives down here.

No offense intended Lawnman_Scott but you're not superior just because you came from up north.
EXACTLY, I agree totally. We came down here 5 years ago. We are from Cincinnati and do not plan on going back. We are doing very well,( knock on wood LOL) It is what you make of it, same as anywhere else. I look at it this way, you have to live somewhere, why not live where you can enjoy good weather year round. The best of luck to you.

· Registered
9,671 Posts
I didnt say i am superior, just feel that way. 40 year olds on childrens bikes with a 12 pack of natrual ice. The ******** still fighting the Civil War. State agencys "losing" kids in foster care??????? And you think thats not backwards? I love Florida, the weather is great, im just stating the facts. And the superior thing was just to get to some people. Hey, before i go, can someone give me a cigarette?

· Registered
120 Posts
Florida has been great to me. I've lived in FL all 18 years of my life so I don't know anything else. Whether is great beaches are beautiful. Lots of rich people and lots of work.
~Jeff

· Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the opinions. What is the difference between north and south Florida?

I've heard the schools are really bad, any truth to that? By bad I mean the kids aren't learning as much as other places.

Thanks again,

Joel

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Some schools are good and some are bad. It all depends on how involved you become as a parent and how you teach your children to respect education.

Prices are dependent on where you live. Some areas east coast higher prices while some are lower. On the West Coast it depends on the county, location, and development you work in. It varies. Example I have one home that goes for $250.00 per month with pruning and weed control in the beds. I know of another guy who charges about $75.00 for the same service. But does lousy work.

We don't have skeeters here. We have swarms of vampires who attack on comand. They are our unofficial state bird. They have been seen carrying off the those fancy skeeter killers. You can figure on going through a bottle of deet a week during the bad times.

You have to consider the following: 1. you will have to learn about grass, palms, shrubs, and bugs. 2. You cannot spray anything unless you have a license. 3. Depending on which county you live there will be as many as 500 other companies working. 4. There is plenty of work, never a recession in this business. 5. It gets 90 degrees here in March and stays there most days until the middle of November. 6. The humidity is always high.

Have fun and good luck.

· Registered
547 Posts
North Fl. is great. It's a different world than southern FL.

I'm 47. Be here most of my life. As a solo operator I'm doing fine. Have approx. 40 accounts, have yearly revenue of about $65,000.00.

Plenty of grass to cut for about 10 months. Leaves and planting to do in the off months.

Too many bugs. Get some natural bug repelant. Watch out for snakes. We've got more than you. Big nasty cotton mouths are the worst.

In the big cities the pace is like any other God forsaken city up north. Smaller ones like the capital (Tallahassee) are a bit slower and some true southerners can be found. We're the nice ones.

The first summer might be horrible for you, but each succeeding year you'll get thinner, less of your brain will function, your accent will change, and you'll want to take a nap around 2PM.

I love it. Oh...we stand when we hear "Dixie"!

Cordially,
Sheppard

· Registered
20 Posts
What i have found is that most of the people that live here, were not born here. We have all moved in from other places. I am expanding my lawncare business in March 2004. Great place to live. It will be what you make of it.

· Registered
375 Posts
Like most things in life you'll usually find what your looking for. The same goes for Florida. Lots of people, too many really, poor roads, low taxes and plenty of growth. It's really up to you. You reward will be directly related to your effort.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.