Lawn Care Forum banner

To all Z-Spray Jr. Owners...

7K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  RABBITMAN11 
#1 ·
I was looking and was able to demo the Mini-Max, Jr. 36 and Intermediate yesterday. I have been using a PG Centri for almost 10 years now and is going to need to have major parts replaced...they are wearing out (all original parts).

While I really like the Intermediate, I think it may be to big for my needs...I don't have alot of real big lawns, and gated lawns would be an issue. That being said, I have not completely ruled it out.

The mini-max is to choppy and vibrates to much for my liking. After just a couple of minutes I had ruled that one out completely.

I like the Jr. 36 because you can get through gates. However, it does not come with the AI nozzles. They come with your standard spray nozzle such as what is on the PG. I believe I could get that set up on the Jr., but then you can't get through a 36" gate.

My question...How is the weed kill with this machine compared to the ones that have the AI nozzle set up? This is really going to be the deciding factor for me buying one machine over another, so I need some real honest answers here.

You can see a difference in the spray coming from the different nozzle set ups. The AI is a finer spray, whereas the Jr. has a larger droplet. Unfortunately yesterday it was drizzling, and I could not check the spray pattern on hard surfaces.

I know there are a few on here who have the Jr. 36 I believe, so I would like to here from you and get your opinion on this machine as a whole.

Thanks

Jack

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Jr.. but with the boom.. based on what you've just said about your lawns etc.. I think you're a perfect fit for a T3000..

LT rich talked me outta the Jr36 when I was looking at it.. I guess the nozzels arn't a favorite. I actually baught all the parts to put the T3K style sprayer on my Z.. (will install this winter) but that sprayer is GREAT.. single tip with about a 10 ft width.. doesn't clog easily, and can be tuned down to do 6 ft or less..

My main problem with the Jr was hill performance.. It's not terrible anymore.. but I put bigger tires on mine. it doesn't fit thru hardly any gate I have.. whereas the T3K fit in every one.

#3 ·
i have the jr 36 and have no problems with weed kill out of it.works great have sprayed atrazine quicksliver and certainty and manor thru it and has worked very well with the 1/3 per k tip.....

#5 ·
Talked to Andy at zspray today. They have a jr36 with ai tips on a new boom there designing so that the machine stays 35.5 inches wide. He expects it to be finished in a couple of weeks or so. If you want one, I would call now. When I talked to them they already had 14 presold.

#6 ·
Talked to Andy at zspray today. They have a jr36 with ai tips on a new boom there designing so that the machine stays 35.5 inches wide. He expects it to be finished in a couple of weeks or so. If you want one, I would call now. When I talked to them they already had 14 presold.
I also spoke with Andy today, and was told the same.

#7 ·
Don't listen to a word Rayholio says, he still can't figure out how to run the zspray. Thats like taking advice from a mechanic thats been working on cars for a couple of weeks! Hey Ray, m:hammerhead::hammerhead:maybe you should stay with a push spreader!

#8 ·
I'm one of the few that has over 50 hours on both machines.. and most people who DO have over 50 hours on both machines agree with what I'm saying.. which is that the Z is not the be-all-end all machine.. and neither is the T3k for that matter.. they both have their applications.

BTW I'm now at almost 150 hours on the Z.. and I'll say it again.. if I can't learn how to use it 'properly' in this amount of time, that points to a flaw in the machine.. especially when the T3K took about 2 hours practice to drive sideways on a 30 degree slope.. and the Z still has trouble with 'em.

#9 ·
I'm one of the few that has over 50 hours on both machines.. and most people who DO have over 50 hours on both machines agree with what I'm saying
Can you name one person that has 50 hours on both machines?

I personally don't know anyone that has 50 hours on both a Z and a T?

Just curious because it sounds like you know many? :confused:

If you can't ride your Z on steep slopes...come over this winter and I will show you how. I stick some seriously sick hills with mine!

I agree that both the T and Z have their place! The Z is on any lawn...and the T is in Larry's barn! :)

JK!

#10 ·
I've had several people contact me via PM about this topic that agree with me, and don't want to discuss it in open forum because of how agressive you Z die-hards are.. and I don't want to drag them into this.. but think about guys who have large operations.. fleets. many of them used Z for years, and then got on board with the T3K..

I'm sorry.. I just gave a little tid bit of advice to this guy.. and you fellas have to turn the topic into something else.. a fight I guess... and there's no reason for it.. You're NOT helping Zs image.

#11 ·
I've had several people contact me via PM about this topic that agree with me, and don't want to discuss it in open forum because of how agressive you Z die-hards are.. and I don't want to drag them into this.. but think about guys who have large operations.. fleets. many of them used Z for years, and then got on board with the T3K..

I'm sorry.. I just gave a little tid bit of advice to this guy.. and you fellas have to turn the topic into something else.. a fight I guess... and there's no reason for it.. You're NOT helping Zs image.
I was just asking becasue I know the guys on here that have T's...and none of them have Z's!

Z does'nt have to worry about their image! People know what they have and their sales numbers speaks volumes for it!

Nice try! :)

#12 ·
Isn't the title of this thread to all Z-Spray Junior owners?
How did we get on the T subject here??
Good grief................

Let's stay on the good track and talk about Z-Sprays on a Z-Spray thread!!!
If I see a T-thread I think I'll just stay way cuz I have no interest in it.

Zzzzzzz......

#13 ·
Maybe I'll just stick with a PG.:cry:

For God's sake, does every post have to turn into a fight about who's machine is the best. Quite frankly I don't give a F*** who's machine is the best. I want the machine that is the "BEST" for me and me only. My PG is still running well after almost 10 years. I just need a more effiecient machine.

As Rodney King stated in 1992...CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??????

My reason for the Jr. 36 is gates... I have about 25 gates I need to get through. My PG get through them, so I would like the Jr. 36 to be able to get through them. Both are the same width machine.

I believe Ted Putnam has a Jr. 36. Ted, can you post if this is the case.

As it stands now, I carry 4 backpacks, mainly for C/G, N/G, and B/W controls. The other is for R/U. That is alot of walking and hitting spots that need it. The Z will take care of that, as I would have 2 rear tanks installed. I don't know if the T3000 has the capability for additional tanks, as I have not checked them out, but I will. I can contact Real Green down state for a demo I'm pretty sure.

My original post was only to see if the spray system was better than the PG. We all need to have excellent results when we spray. Now that an AI boom is being introduced, that should be a plus, or maybe it isn't. I just want to make sure, that "whatever machine" I purchase, it is the right machine for my needs and does the best job.

I am a solo owner/operator, so efficiency is a must. The way I do it now, does take longer, but I won't compromise results.

I also need to be able to use a carrier rack. I don't want to trailer. I know there is a company in Lancaster, PA that makes heavy duty double receiver racks, so I would need to have one made. I use a 3500 Chevy flatbed truck. The Jr. 36 is about 100 lbs. heavier than the PG.

After all that being said, please continue to post your thoughts, but let's keep it on the subject.

Jack

#14 ·
Jack,

For some reason it does seem to become a pissing contest at times...but long story short, the boomless PG, T and Z will do a great job for you as the PG has been for you I am sure.

Rayholio just has issues with Z for some reason and I think it fires us up to know his history and the way he presented his post!

I had PG Mag's for 4 years and never a lick of trouble with weed control and the only reason I went away from it was I wanted more capacity and comfort and the Z was my answer!

The only thing you gain with a boom with AI tips is more control of your spray pattern. You can spray when it is windy (up to 10 mph atleast) and crank up your PSI when it isn't if desired.

AI tips are a must in my book...but the flood will do a fine job (no pun intended) for you and your weed control.

I even had a flood tip added to the front of my Z for wooded area and cemetaries, so I have the option to use a boom or not! Sucker will spray about 16 ft wide! :weightlifter:

#15 ·
Rodney,

Do you notice much of a difference with respect to manueverability on smaller lawns with the boom and without? Most of my lawns run on average 5,000 to 8,000 square feet, and fairly well landscaped...alot of obstacles. I do have a number of larger ones, but at this time none larger than 70,000 square feet.

The PG Centri was adequate at best for heavy weeds. Some cases you had to go over the lawn twice, because the spray was so fine. I have no experience with any other PG, so they may have tweaked the spray system a bit. Did the magnum have a better or larger pump than the older machines?

It does sound as though the AI is the way to go. Are you going with a 1/3gal/k on your BWC?

Jack

#18 ·
Rodney,

Do you notice much of a difference with respect to manueverability on smaller lawns with the boom and without? Most of my lawns run on average 5,000 to 8,000 square feet, and fairly well landscaped...alot of obstacles. I do have a number of larger ones, but at this time none larger than 70,000 square feet.

The PG Centri was adequate at best for heavy weeds. Some cases you had to go over the lawn twice, because the spray was so fine. I have no experience with any other PG, so they may have tweaked the spray system a bit. Did the magnum have a better or larger pump than the older machines?

It does sound as though the AI is the way to go. Are you going with a 1/3gal/k on your BWC?

Jack
As far as the size of the lawn...I don't think a boom or not matters but the size of the machine will.

My Z Max doesn't manuever near as well as my PG on really small lawns...but anything over 10K and it is money!

I used to hate boom sprayers in the lawn, but you can really see what you are doing and get a good pattern with less drift.

I owned 3 MAGNUMS and never had any issues with weed control so I can't compare to any other PG unit.

Overall all the sprayers on the market do a good job...just have to figure out which one suits you.

#19 ·
Z-Spray all the way! We have one that has well over 2,000 hrs! I Would never consider anything else. I really appreciate all of the help that Tom and his team provide for us.
Wow that's an awesome fleet of max's.... sorry get off subject, but how many lawns you treating? (if you don't mind)

#20 ·
I would rebuild the Centri.. you could replace everything on it and not spend 2k. I have 2 and l think the Centri is the best design of all the pg's. they handle much better than the Magnum. I put 2 gpm pumps on mine and the spray pattern is great!! I had 2 magnums sold them and went back to useing the Centri.. also had a Z max, great machine but just too big for me.

#21 ·
Jack,

I am looking for double receiver rack.Can you give me the name of the company that makes them from Lancaster Co.
Thanks
I have a call into the local rep for Z-spray. As soon as I hear from him, I'll let you know.

From what he was tolling me, they are top notch, but not cheap. One company in the area uses them. They will custom fit to your vehicle and machine, includes a light package, and can handle a z max fully loaded. Of course the vehicle has to be able to handle this.

The price I was quoted was around $2500.00. Might be more than I am willing to spend, but...I am also looking a little closer to home as well.

Jack

#22 ·
I would rebuild the Centri.. you could replace everything on it and not spend 2k. I have 2 and l think the Centri is the best design of all the pg's. they handle much better than the Magnum. I put 2 gpm pumps on mine and the spray pattern is great!! I had 2 magnums sold them and went back to useing the Centri.. also had a Z max, great machine but just too big for me.
I have considered that as well. I need to replace the engine, because the shaft is worn. No more robin engines, so I have to go to a honda...$1600.00 I'm told. Will need a new tranny...$700.00. Clutch...$125.00. Rear axles on the sulky. Some small misc. parts and throw in the labor-I'm not a mechanic, but I have a small local shop who works on my machine- and were talking minimum $3000.00.

Still cheaper than $8000.00 for a new machine, but I am also looking for convience as well. Soooooooo, I have to look at all options available.

Jack

#24 ·
um, really is numbers all that important on here. but that is one real fleet of zspray capability. woow. i thought we were doing big things with 3!

you must be near indy, or another big city to support that much work. i can see 8, do you have more??? are you running a machine per guy/truck? thanks

#25 ·
Thanks for the compliment. As far as how many lawns we are treating I probably shouldn't be giving out numbers. Sorry. Hope you understand. I will say it is several!
um, really is numbers all that important on here. but that is one real fleet of zspray capability. woow. i thought we were doing big things with 3!

you must be near indy, or another big city to support that much work. i can see 8, do you have more??? are you running a machine per guy/truck? thanks
Sorry, my curiosity got the best of me. I'm always curious how many lawns other people treat per ride on machine.

#26 ·
no complaints to you, it cameout wrong. i think he is being odd by not sharing. that is what my comment ment. sharing this info here is what gains perspective and insight into another business. i think it is valuable info to know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.