To bag or not too bad...

C & T Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
So I picked up a 2012 JD WH48A in April for a steal, but now that it's getting closer to fall I'm starting to think leaves. I don't bag any of my lawns so I don't have a bag for this, but I'm thinking that now that I have this my fall cleanups can be speed up quite a bit from my old method (tarp/blower/rake). Should I spend $300+ on a bagger and just mulch up and bag the leaves? Or do y'all think I can just mulch/side discharge them? Leaf cover can go anywhere from 1" to 12" on different properties. Just looking for y'alls opinions before I go and drop some change on something I might never use.

Or should I just install a mulch kit?

FYI, I don't pay a dump fee, so I'm not worried about that, and I do have a location to dump the leaves.

Last edited:

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
if you want to bag leaves don't waste your 300 on a dumb little side bagger that will fill up every 2 feet. I would say get a trac vac or you could get an accelerator bagger with leaf extension

LandFakers

LawnSite Fanatic
I have baggers for all my mowers but honestly I never use them other than the vac for the Zero in the fall. They just fill too quickly. The only efficient way I've found is blow them to one spot and suck them up with a truck or trailer vac. Easiest way I know of
Posted via Mobile Device

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I have baggers for all my mowers but honestly I never use them other than the vac for the Zero in the fall. They just fill too quickly. The only efficient way I've found is blow them to one spot and suck them up with a truck or trailer vac. Easiest way I know of
Posted via Mobile Device

Early int he fall season, you bag that lawn because there are only a few.

Then, when the leaves fall heavy, you blow the lawn to the curb, start sucking while another guy bags the lawn for detail.

That's How it's been done since.. well, before Ive been paying attention.

OP
C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Posted via Mobile Device

Then, when the leaves fall heavy, you blow the lawn to the curb, start sucking while another guy bags the lawn for detail.

That's what I kinda thought, that the bagger would be best for a more detailed look, not for a heavy leaf fall. Just wanted to see if the bagger was worth the couple hundred and saved alittle time, doesnt appear that it is/will.

Thanks y'all

LandFakers

LawnSite Fanatic

I really don't see that here, I get a little that fall early, but enough to chop up with the mower and you wouldn't even notice, and then the turf stops growing and the leaves dump. So I rarely run in to the situation of only needing to bag a small amount of leaves.

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
get the mowers out and start shredding everything in site with decks up
high as they can go , keep goin over them

then blow out the beds and shred some more

then tarp em

like said bagger fills up too qyuickly . only thing baggers good for is a final cut after youve tarped them to leave lawn spotless

123hotdog

LawnSite Senior Member
I was in the same situation you are in just a few years back. Depending on how many lawns you have; do the tarp thing as long as you can. I took some heavily fertilized lawns this year requiring me to purchase a 12 bushel bagger for my zero turn so I can't wait for the leaves to fall. I do have a hand held blower vac from Echo. You hold the blower just like a handheld and the debris bag is strapped on your back just like a backpack blower. Before I spent $300 on a cheap something for a walk behind mower; I would look at a blower vac. Mine was around $300. It was super helpful during mulch season this year. Makes for easy cleanup. We spread over three tractor trailer loads this year.

123hotdog

LawnSite Senior Member
Another thought is to purchase a chute blocker system. I have one on my zero turn and after you get one, you don't know how you worked without it. I made a bolt on version for my 48" walkbehind out of some left over fiberglass. If you are interested in this method, pm me and I will send you a picture. It cost me like $6. I put it on my brand new Wright walk behind. It looks like it belongs there.

Top Forums