1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by quint7, Apr 13, 2005.

1. quint7

quint7 LawnSite Member

I mow part time with a 10ft. trailor ,48in bobcat beltdrive, commercial trimmer and blower. My work schedule from the fire dept. is 24hrs. on 48hrs off. I can mow all eight of my accounts right now in one full day. I have been offered seven more accounts all 1 acre or less. Is takeing on this many new accounts growing to fast. Also is it worth buying a 52in midmount or stander and up grading trailors to carry both mowers. Also the bobcat is a older model I got used to get started 2 years ago and she starting to burn a little oil.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I think if you pick up the accounts, and can afford a 48 or 52" Stander, do it. They will both fit on the 10' trailer, eliminating the need for a larger trailer at this time. Use the Stander as your primary, and the Bobcat as a backup. Change the oil in the BC to a synthetic with additives for ring wear, and limp her along until you can replace it. Good luck..

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on how well u will be profiting on all your accounts. I would figure all of your expences involved in your business and see where your at with your prices. Only u can determine (based on your figures) whether your growing too fast and/or if its worth it to purchase additional equipment. Sounds to me like u have the time for more accounts

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Do what he said. Coming from a fellow fire fighter.