To gator base or not.....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by woodlawnservice, Dec 8, 2017.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the question and looking for suggestions... Here in oklahoma. Frost line is 12" yet ive never seen it past 2-3"! soil on this site is clay/rock mixture.... access to location isnt to bad. all my machine's can get in and out. 1k sq ft of 12" pavers to lay... never used gator base but looks interesting...... thoughts on using it?

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Are roads and highways constructed with gatorbase?

3. CorridorLawnCare

CorridorLawnCare LawnSite Member

4. woodlawnservice

I get your point but, this patio will not have 80,000 lbs trucks on it all day.. this patio will never see more than foot traffic....

5. Shorelandscaper

Shorelandscaper LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Heading into our 4th year using it.....0 issues

6. woodlawnservice

whats the biggest benefit? my cost on it is high! i was quoted for geo, gator, edging restraint, and nails $3400 for 1k

7. CorridorLawnCare

The biggest benefit is reduced excavation and base installation costs. I have not used it yet, but our price is $0.45/sqft for just the gatorbase.

8. woodlawnservice

thats not bad. you see me costs on it from site one. With my pricing, i just cannot justify it. Id like to use it but at my cost of roughly $3500 for 1,000 sq.ft... thats alot of rock and labor!

9. CorridorLawnCare

You also don't have to the Gator brand edge restraint and pins if that is the expensive part for you, sqft prices for the actual foam should be fairly similar to mine from SiteOne...

10. woodlawnservice

u would think.... a 10 pack is $155 they quoted me on... they said only 58 sq. ft a pack....