1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

to heck with sharpening blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Aug 18, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a local guy here that i have started using .he will sharpen blades for $3.00 each .i figure for 3 bucks and i dont have to be out after dark every other night sharpening blades it is well worth it . i give him 12 to 15 blades per week and he does a heck of a job .

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, but after every third sharpening you have just spent enough to have bought a brand new set of aftermarket blades.

3. MountainMow

MountainMow LawnSite Member

The way I see it my time is worth something too....especially after normal business hours :)

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

After about 80 times you just paid as much as a magnamatic.

5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That many blades I would say get a blade grinder.

6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on how many weeks are in your season (32 - 35 here) your looking at over $450 for season. Nothing like throwing money out the window

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Well a little news flash here. If you own the co then you had better be ready to do lots of things you don't get paid for. If your paying $9 for every set of blades to be sharpened in 2 weeks you could buy a new set.:dizzy:

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You guys need to try some high quality Marbane steel blades.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

My guy sharpens blades for 2 bucks a blade. Now I spend 6 dollars/set right? I spend 8 dollars for diesel to get to the guy right? Now at 15 bucks a set how is that worthwhile for me when I can bust out the bench grinder and waste no time or money sharpening them myself.

12-15 blades a week? Buy a magnamatic and make one of your employees sharpen them after work.

10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

What ,they never need sharpened:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: