1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

to prevent non payment.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rainger001, Feb 10, 2012.

  1. Rainger001

    Rainger001 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    When I am cold out to do and estimate or quote a repair and the customer gives us the ok. I want them to sign something on the bottom for an agreement to pay. Do ya'll have any ideas.
  2. Moose's Mowing

    Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 452

    work order or a service contract maybe. I have one of each set up. The contract will be for regular service/mowing. The work order will be for other "one-time" jobs like mulch, brush clearing, seasonal clean-ups, etc. The service contract is pretty straight forward, it's more of a way to spell out my terms of service and payment. Since there's a termination clause, the actual contract doesn't hold much water, but it serves as a way to agree to the terms. the work order has a labor and materials section as well as a work description box. I plan to be as specific as possible in the description box. then I can write in an amount to charge so there's no "confusion" about the scope of work to be done or the payment. the contractor and client both sign and date at the bottom and it's done.
  3. grass-scapes

    grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,552

    You can never prevent Non Payment. You can only cover your butt in the case of non payment. And then, there is no guarantee.
  4. Rainger001

    Rainger001 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    I understand there is no guarantee of payment with anything. What I am looking for is this. When I am called out to repair a sprinkler system and give them the estimate amount to repair it. I want something at the bottom of my estimate, so when they sign off on me doing the repairs. That there is a statement saying something about services rendered, and their obligation to pay, and if they do not pay then I am within my power to take back possession of the materials or file a lien. I also work on foreclosed homes and I have found the hard way about non payment and small claims. Doing preservation work you cannot file do to you not improving the property. I hope that explains better of what I am looking for.
  5. wbw

    wbw LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,096

    Hire a lawyer. He can write a contract for you that stipulates than you own all materials/supplies until final payment and that you can as recourse remove said materials/supplies.

Share This Page