To sedge or not to sedge?

Iexpedite

LawnSite Member
I have centipede sod that is about 2 months old. I have what I believe to be cylindric sedge making an appearance. I was looking at Sedgehammer but it requires the grass be planted for 3 months prior to use. That puts me at about mid-September. I live 2 miles from the Mississippi Gulf so I have a lot of warm weather ahead. Is it safe to use Sedgehammer or should I deal with the problem with a pre-emergent next year?

The only thing that has been done so far is lots of morning water. Weed control has been me pulling weeds. It has been effective on everything else but the sedge just breaks off. I also put down about 2.5 bags of Milorganite (6000 sq ft of grass) a couple of days ago.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I have centipede sod that is about 2 months old. I have what I believe to be cylindric sedge making an appearance. I was looking at Sedgehammer but it requires the grass be planted for 3 months prior to use. That puts me at about mid-September. I live 2 miles from the Mississippi Gulf so I have a lot of warm weather ahead. Is it safe to use Sedgehammer or should I deal with the problem with a pre-emergent next year?

The only thing that has been done so far is lots of morning water. Weed control has been me pulling weeds. It has been effective on everything else but the sedge just breaks off. I also put down about 2.5 bags of Milorganite (6000 sq ft of grass) a couple of days ago.
I’m not aware of a pre em for Sedge. Post emergent control is all that I’m aware of that actually works. Either kill everything with gly and then seed that area and wait 10-14 days for the grass to germinate or spray sedgehammer and wait 10-14 days for the sedge to die. Either way, it’ll be 2 weeks before your problem is resolved.

OP
Iexpedite

Iexpedite

LawnSite Member
My concern is doing something negative to the grass with the winter months right around the corner. I don't want to weaken the centipede going into winter. I'm probably just overthinking it.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
I think you should wait until next year. It may be warm where your at but the soil temp is dropping. The plants know that they are going into a slower growing season. Those weeds aren't going anywhere.

The centipede probably needs to root all it can before you start hitting it with herbicide.

OP
Iexpedite

Iexpedite

LawnSite Member
I didn't know that there wasn't a pre for sedge. I haven't looked into pre-emergents at all at this point. If this is anything like my old lawn the weeds will green up long before the actual grass. I will wait until then to address the problem. I also ordered a weeder so I can get to the root of the problem.

Grassfire205

LawnSite Senior Member
Id go ahead and spray now. Sedgehammer is pretty gentle on anything but sedge. Spray it for directed rates and it should be fine. I sprayed Bermuda grass that was planted from seed and was only 3 months old and had zero effects

JMK26

LawnSite Fanatic
Id go ahead and spray now. Sedgehammer is pretty gentle on anything but sedge. Spray it for directed rates and it should be fine. I sprayed Bermuda grass that was planted from seed and was only 3 months old and had zero effects
Sedgehammer seems to be the only thing that works so well that the sedge doesn't come back the next year, or at least as bad.

I don't spray....but it seems the companies that spray for sedge use a sedge killer, but it only kills the weed...the seeds/nuts come back the next...sedge supposedly kills the seeds/nuts on the root as well.

I can only speak from visual experience that lawns treated with sedgehammer have a much smaller outbreak, if any at all the following season compared to the other sedge "killers".

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
If its new centipede, I really would wait. I know you have 2-3 months of green growing left on the coast, I might spray the sedges with sedgehammer sometime in October.

If the centipede is rooted, maybe cut back the water frequency. Still try to get it 1" a week, which you might get with just afternoon storms there. Saturating the soil tends to make nutsedge come out even more.

Give the soil pre-emergent sometime in October, and again in February. But for sedges its best to try to eliminate really wet areas in the lawn and attack it with post-emergents. I'd wait a little longer though.

And if you haven't done a soil test, do it, so you can keep that soil pH low and see what the centipede might need for next year.