To Turn In Or Be Nice

Ghopper3345

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok I know this will have some people pissed but who cares. We are here to make money not friends. Do people turn in the little guy cutting a few lawns a week? I hear it all the time I only have a few accounts a week. Ok great why the hell do you have 2 walk behinds an 2 backpacks and 1-2 guys working for you part time? First I don't cut anymore but I did for 16 years now I do fert. But my point is. No commercial tags on the truck, no signs, no insurance, No contractors lic, no workers comp, and most getting all cash paying because they can't cash a check. And for all of the guys trying to do it normal we have to pay all those things. You are running a business illegal! you can't just open a business in a strip mall with out that stuff? Walmart can't say were dropping our insurance. What if you hurt someone? So do we turn them in???? If you think its so cool to own a landscape business and tell all your buddies I'm my own boss cutting some lawns after my job at with the state. Well then play by the rules!

OP
G

Ghopper3345

LawnSite Senior Member
I am and have been since day one. Look if your legal I will bend over backwards for you or if your doing a service for free I will help. But come on! Just play fair
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnman_scott

LawnSite Fanatic
Who are you going to turn them in to? The IRS will laugh or pretend they care and 10 years from now may look into it. If your concern is county license or something of that nature, I would in a second. The laws may be anti business and a bunch of crap, but a level playing field is always nice.

OP
G

Ghopper3345

LawnSite Senior Member
just think if we were all on the same level. We could all raise prices together. And never hear those famous words. I use bobby he works cutting a few lawns a week out of his new 2012 f250 for $20 a cut. Sales tax he never charges me sales tax

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
Who are you going to turn them in to? The IRS will laugh or pretend they care and 10 years from now may look into it.
You may want to rethink that answer! They don't play anymore about folks that owe them money. Plus the OP could get a reward up to 15% of the monies owed from those operating illegally that he turns in. THAT MY FRIEND will help the bottom line of any company.

http://www.gobankingrates.com/tax/irs-rewarding-those-who-snitch-on-tax-cheats/

integrityman

LawnSite Bronze Member
i would say before turning in anyone, that you make sure you have all your ducks in a row and you make sure your legal all the way around.
And-

Not that I condone persons operating under the radar etc....but lets take a step back.

Who here didnt mow lawns either as a kid and never paid taxes or had insurance. Or who here started out 100% legitimate with an llc, complete insurance, an accountant lined up etc.

Yea, it bothers me guys who are running illigitimately, but it is an evolving process....