Lawn Care Forum banner

TomG's Work Photos

47K views 112 replies 33 participants last post by  nlmct 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have a few other threads on here about various things but I thought I'd start a photo thread with pictures from work.

A little about me: I work for a family owned and operated hardscaping company. We specialize in Paver walkways, patios and driveways and retaining walls amongst other things in the hardscaping world. We also do some light excavation, grading and clearing work. Currently i am the head foreman and equipment operator for the company. I have been on equipment since I was 4 years old.

Also I have a YouTube channel and Facebook page that I post to regularly. I have video of time lapses of jobs, how to videos, equipment tricks and just regular videos from work. Links to both can be found in my signature.

Now for some pictures

A few photos of hardscaping projects

Our fleet of equipment and trucks.

A few project photos:

Cleared some trees and brush along 2 stone walls.

Clearing, grading and loaming over a leach field. Customer wanted everything cleared because the roots were growing into the leach field.

See less See more
#3 ·
Love the pics Tom. I suggest everyone visit his youtube page too, it's very cool. Lots of interesting videos on there! Don't you have a photo thread in the hardscaping section on this website too?
Thank you for the kind words. Yes I do have quite a large thread in the hardscaping section. Its called "TomG's Photos" if anyone wants to check it out. I figured I'd start one here of all the non-hardscaping work I do.

#8 ·
alldayrj: That is a 1996 International 4700 with a DT466E motor. 6 speed. 25,999GVW. Dump bed is steel. It has a few dents in the bed but had held up well. Its a great truck. I can honestly say it has never been in the shop. We replaced the clutch this year for the first time, and we have broken a few axles over the years, climbing out of gravel pits in low gear. Other than that nothing. We also re painted it a few years ago.

T_S_S: The E50 is great. I really like it. We do a lot of lifting with out mini's. We set a lot of granite steps and stoops. The E50 is a beast lifting. It will lift more over the blade than our T300. It also had great digging power in my opinion, and is a very smooth machine. I have had a few problems with it, mostly with bad steel and all the issues have been fixed/replaced by my dealership for free. Even after the warranty was up. Also the cab is not the greatest, a few changes could make it really nice. But performance wise I don't think you can beat it for a 10,600lb machine.

Here are some more pictures of our trucks for the people who were interested.

On the two newer International 4300's we have swing gates. They are great for dumping stumps, brush, and for loading pallets of materials in the bed.

#10 ·
If the 96 was an auto i would try and buy it, thats an awesome truck. Any issues with the fold down sides? i feel like they are kind of delicate.

My bad, thought the grey dump was aluminum.
Posted via Mobile Device
No no problems with the fold down side.

#12 ·
Tom....thanks for all the pictures and your opinion....I have followed your progress, and particularly the excavator 50...I am considering purchasing one, and saw you now had some complaints on the interior layout....I was wondering if you would share that, and if you were purchasing a like sized machine I there were another brand you thought to be better? Thanks. Tony

#13 ·
Cool photos - really liking the 4300s. Looks like a Kenworth T300? We have one too (and a T470) both with a hooklift system.

You have a favorite truck? Any plans for new trucks/updates?
Yes the Kenworth is a T300. I dont really have a favorite truck but if i had to pick one I'd say the Kenworth. Its so easy and nice to drive. Plus I'm the only one who has a CDL to drive it so I get to keep it nice and clean how I like. I actually wish it had a hook lift system, then it would be literally perfect for what we use it for. But I also really like the 4300's. They are great trucks and will literally haul as much anything as you put in them. (maybe not legally but they will haul it:cool2:)

No plans for new trucks, we will probably run these till they die. Our most recent purchase was the Kenworth last year. We had been looking for a while for a tri-axle, but just couldn't justify spending $120,000+ for a new one for our application. The T300 is a 2008 and when we purchased it, it only had 50k miles on it.

#14 ·
Tom....thanks for all the pictures and your opinion....I have followed your progress, and particularly the excavator 50...I am considering purchasing one, and saw you now had some complaints on the interior layout....I was wondering if you would share that, and if you were purchasing a like sized machine I there were another brand you thought to be better? Thanks. Tony
I don't like how the arm rests are not easy adjustable, I think the seat and seat suspension system could be better and I dont like the placement of the radio. Overall they are minimal things. If I was to purchase again I'd probably go with the Bobcat again. I think if you took a Cat cab and put it on the bobcat machine it would be nearly perfect. You cant beat a Cat cab in my opinion. But saying that I like where a lot of the switches and buttons are on the bobcat compared to the Cat. So I guess it just comes down to personal preference. As for performance wise, I don't think you can beat the bobcat. I have tried, cat, case, new holland, yanmarr, volvo and komatsu comparatively sized machines. If you follow me on YouTube you have seen what the bobcat can do. Some days the machine still amazes me how much digging and lifting power it has.

#15 ·
Thanks...The cat is a very nice machine, but the Bobcat is pretty comparable..IMO...I made myself check out the Bobcat, just because of your review, and although a much smaller operation, a nice one....The closer dealer to me is Kubota, and they also have a nice machine 57.....Again thanks. Tony

#18 ·
On the way to the farm I stopped at the Kubota dealer...The u55 is a very nice machine, but I was more interested in the 57.....A better price than the Bobcat, but it is really hard to get a comparison due to certain thing not being available on either one or the other....One thing is surprising, is the hydraulic attachments I just perused....really expensive.....I have an old hydraulic side mounted mower, I think I paid twelve hundred dollars for and it is worth way North of ten thousand , almost twenty.....I don`t know if Ton G is drinking the same koolAid as I am , but the Bobcat is the nicer machine.....I`l try and figure out more Tony

#20 ·
YellowDogSVC: I'm pretty sure its a 10' bed.

jrs.landscaping: Thank you for the compliment! Tell your wife I can confirm the video was not edited! haha

Here are a few pictures from the past week or so.

Helped out a friend last week with the snow storm here. Got to run his Komatsu WA200 with snow pusher.

A few burn pile pictures.

A few "night" shots. Its getting way to dark here way to early.

#22 ·
What time of day is it getting dark? Down here in S C 5:30 or so, or at least dusk....Tony ps we are having about the highest tides of the year next two days.
4:30-5:00 it gets dark

#24 ·
Nice pics Tom, I would like your opinion on the Fuso. I have been ooking at them for a few years and would like to pick one up. My concern has always been towing capacity. How has yours done for you?
Thanks,

#25 ·
Nice pics Tom, I would like your opinion on the Fuso. I have been ooking at them for a few years and would like to pick one up. My concern has always been towing capacity. How has yours done for you?
Thanks,
The fuso is currently just a plow truck for us. It is too small for the work we currently do. But... it used to be one of our main trucks. Its a good truck, four wheel drive, automatic, great on fuel. We used to tow our skid steers around with it and it did ok... It was definitely not the greatest. Was slow going up hills or on the highway. If your looking at it to be towing a lot id pass on it. But it really depends on what your pulling. Our skids weigh about 9000lbs. I'd say it could handle a 6000lb machine nicely.

#26 ·
Tom
Somewhere in your other forum post, you got your 50 for around 66m$ with the rotating ditch cleaning attachment and two buckets...Do you think the machine has appreciated much for a similarly equipped one today? And how much did the hydraulic ditch bucket cost....I have a price of around sixty eight without the hydraulic mechanism ....

The cat 305.5 is a possibility, but I swear the bobcat seems to be just as good...Should I peruse the Cat.? Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.