Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I applied a product combination that is showing stress on the fescue. A combination of speedzone and primesource meso 4sc both at max rate . It shows more in tight areas where I had to slow to turn around etc. But overall turf is yellowed from the meso photosynthesis block. Did about 5 acres of this.

I think it will grow out. Haven't had any calls yet, but I'm expecting some.
Plant People in nature Natural landscape Grass Terrestrial plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Groundcover Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Grass family

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Odd pattern. Splotchy.
Did you stop and start at the turn-arounds?
Two kinds of grass? Rye and turf type tall fescue? Bluegrass? Poa? Wetting agent or surfactant?
What was temperature?
Pump pressure irregular?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The splotches are surprising @RigglePLC the open area in the photo were back and forth applied with zspray 4 nozzle boom. No irregularities noted in application. But the turf is a mutt, combination of many different grasses including all the above. So, I think the splotches are just more tender grass types. Surfactant at something like 0.6 oz/k. Temps not too wild, application at 74 degrees and it's cooled off since.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've used meso a lot over the years and it is really tough to burn with. It does cause turf bleaching in almost every situation I've used it but it grows out within a couple weeks. Odd thing is the bleaching does not show up until about 14 days after treatment in my experience. The turf bleaching seems to be worse on coarser bladed grasses and super fine grasses like fine fescue and creeping fescue. It'll turn bentgrass as white as a polar bear and put a tiny ding in it but I've never been able to successfully kill bentgrass with it no matter what rate, time of year, surfactant used or amount of carrier used. I do see some very mild bleaching on bluegrass, rye and tall fescue but it's minimal and never damages the turf health wise, just in appearance and just turns it whitish and grows out in a couple cuttings.

I overseeded my own new to me lawn this spring with TTTF and treated it immediately prior to seeding and about 4 or 5 weeks after seeding. Made the existing lawn look very similar to the pictures you posted both times. I only use meso in special cases due to the turf bleaching making customers freak out. I always tell them numerous times that turf bleaching is very likely and it will grow out within a couple weeks of it showing up. Meso is a great product with lots of uses but the darn turf bleaching makes it tough to use across the board.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I admit it was a little crazy to do a wholesale blanket app with meso on everyone. I did put on the posting to expect white turf. Have heard nothing so far from anyone so that's good, I guess. Bad part is it kind of makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing, which I do know and intended to do this. Problem probably is that I don't know any better 😀.

It did take a couple weeks for it to pop with photosynthesis stopped. I have everything mowed now and I cut a hare shorter to remove the white tips. Problem were having now is it has been a very dry fall so far. The grass isn't growing out, it's in freeze frame. A nice long day or two of rain would bring everything back green and lush.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
It looks like I applied a product combination that is showing stress on the fescue. A combination of speedzone and primesource meso 4sc both at max rate . It shows more in tight areas where I had to slow to turn around etc. But overall turf is yellowed from the meso photosynthesis block. Did about 5 acres of this.

I think it will grow out. Haven't had any calls yet, but I'm expecting some.
View attachment 523194

View attachment 523195

View attachment 523196
On many products it's not necessary or desirable to use the max rate to achieve desired results.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Week later not much improvement because we've had zero rain. We need rain everything has freeze framed.
Some of this app was 25 miles north and its looking great, must have had some rain up there.
Current picture of the original spot.
Plant Green People in nature Grass Groundcover

Plant Grass Terrestrial plant People in nature Shrub

Plant People in nature Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover

·
Registered
217 Posts
People are always asking me about stuff like "weed-n-feed" I advise them not to use a product that is intended to kill broad leaf weeds in their lawn unless they actually have broad leaf weeds in their lawn.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
People are always asking me about stuff like "weed-n-feed" I advise them not to use a product that is intended to kill broad leaf weeds in their lawn unless they actually have broad leaf weeds in their lawn.
That's all fine and dandy, but him blanketing, especially in the fall, is probably one of the reasons he doesn't have any/minimal weeds...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess for the record there are weeds there but they are small and minimal but way too many for me to attempt to spot spray. 😉 I'm paying the bill here and I don't apply without a target.

Need to get a followup picture posted. Had rain yesterday, hopefully it starts looking better. I was just up North where they had more rain and those yards look excellent now. Completely green.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I guess for the record there are weeds there but they are small and minimal but way too many for me to attempt to spot spray. 😉 I'm paying the bill here and I don't apply without a target.

Need to get a followup picture posted. Had rain yesterday, hopefully it starts looking better. I was just up North where they had more rain and those yards look excellent now. Completely green.
Yes, let us know how it pans out.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, let us know how it pans out.
Couldn't get a picture today. It's still white tipped though! We've only had one modest rain in weeks. I'm confident it will be fine but I wasn't planning on such a long period of undesirable color. If we'd had normal growth it would be grown out by now. Surprisingly still no word from customers. I mowed a few of them today and definitely can see it, but it could be worse.

·
Registered
217 Posts
While there may not be visible weeds at the time of application some apps are for weeds that will emerge in the future or some that are so small they may not be visible.
Yes of course. My reasoning being that the risk of turf damage due to the application itself needs to be weighed against the potential benefit. Speedzone is a contact product so if there is not substantial weed foliage present its effect IMO is limited. Pre-emergents are an effective means of preventing future weeds and can even knock out some weeds just after germination, but without the risk of turf damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts