Too cold to mow...temperatures

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CJ's Mowing Service, Nov 12, 2019.

1. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

It worked great for the accounts I bought it for.

I don't have a bunch of money in it. I never really want to expand my snow removal side it's slowly happens. My goal is to be out in the next 5 years. Even though I've said that the last 5 years!

2. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Senior Member

This year too cold is under 40° because of the oil in my mower. Next year I won't have a minimum temperature because I'll be using full synthetic 5w-30 instead of sae 30.

3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I get cold before the mower does. Today was the coldest day of the year so far at about 20 degree and hard wind and there’s zero chance of catching me on my mower in that temperature but if someone tougher than me wanted on it I have no doubt it would’ve started and worked. I usually leave the mower running on the trailer to warm up on cooler days. I did notice the transmission temperature on my truck was running 50 degrees cooler vs in 90 degree weather.

4. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I will add that when it's cold under 40 for highs mowing is over as the grass is dormant. It's usually just leaf mulching time.

5. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

48420906_10217536956356755_3070700251393294336_n.jpg
    No such thing as to cold, when the grass gets covered, my guys bundle up, and we mow snow !!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  6. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Better give that operator employee of the month it looks cold!

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You should be plugging a diesel in below 20
    But unless there’s something wrong with your glow plugs/battery - you should still be able to start the truck.
    We run them up here in Alaska all winter long

As far as too cold for mowers
    The same type of equipment is running to clear sidewalks in the winter .... so there is no “too cold to use” the machinery

8. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

Any great jumper boxes out there? I’ll have to jump everything today (17 degrees).

9. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Why? 17 should be no problem for any gas or diesel engine to start. Sounds like it's time to start replacing batteries.

10. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

i fired up the plow truck yesterday, first time in months. started after a few cranks, 7 degrees.