Too Early For Broadleaf?

jbell36

LawnSite Bronze Member
i have wondered this for a long time...we have some companies in town that do a 5 step program and do broadleaf control at every stop, usually a spot spray, and some that do two blanket broadleaf apps (spring and fall)...we've been using trimec 992, i've always been told that it has to be warm enough for trimec to work...is this true? if this is true, are the companies that are doing the 5 step broadleaf apps most likely using an ester?

the first app around here is usually around march 15th and the last app is usually dec. 1st...the temps are always low at these times

i got a call today from a lady saying henbit is popping up everywhere...most of the lawns around here are fescue...

nobagger

LawnSite Gold Member
i have wondered this for a long time...we have some companies in town that do a 5 step program and do broadleaf control at every stop, usually a spot spray, and some that do two blanket broadleaf apps (spring and fall)...i've always been told that it has to be warm enough for trimec to work...is this true? if this is true, are the companies that are doing the 5 step broadleaf apps most likely using an ester?

the first app around here is usually around march 15th and the last app is usually dec. 1st...the temps are always low at these times

i got a call from a lady saying henbit is popping up everywhere...most of the lawns around here are fescue...
I think everything is going to be going early this year. Even our temps. are in the 50's-60's, normally we would be in the 20's-30's. I saw a chain fert company last week spreading something but they're hacks. Usually we're putting down the first app around April.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Good question. I think Trimec 992 should work...HOWEVER...it works best when the weed is not dormant, nor mature and going to seed, but in a stage of young rapid growth. Henbit is best treated in the fall when young. Its a winter weed and disappears after a couple mowings.
Problem number two is that you will miss all the warm weather weeds(like oxalis and spurge) if you start too early. I prefer late spring and late fall for broadcast applications.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
The thing is this year isn't a normal year. We are suppose to be in the 80's by the end of the week. What I would like to know are we going to stay 2 months ahead, cause normally we don't see temps in the 80's until the end of may. This totally changes everything.

OP
J

jbell36

LawnSite Bronze Member
The thing is this year isn't a normal year. We are suppose to be in the 80's by the end of the week. What I would like to know are we going to stay 2 months ahead, cause normally we don't see temps in the 80's until the end of may. This totally changes everything.
yes it does...we usually do a broadleaf blanket app with our second split pre emergent app but i think we just might do it with our first app this year

maelawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
I normally do my broadleaf in my second app as well. But we already have henbit coming up and in some places dandelions. So broadleaf app is going into the first round, which we started this week.

I just hope I dont miss any that arent coming up yet.

OP
J

jbell36

LawnSite Bronze Member
I normally do my broadleaf in my second app as well. But we already have henbit coming up and in some places dandelions. So broadleaf app is going into the first round, which we started this week.

I just hope I dont miss any that arent coming up yet.
That's exactly what we are going to do...just hope we don't miss anything as well...if we do we will just spot spray as needed with our other apps