Too late for fall apps ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by qserve, Oct 11, 2009.

  1. qserve

    qserve LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    Got behind on fall apps this year due to some health issues. Quite a few fert and squirts left to due. Got our first hard freeze last night here in north central IA. and forecast calling for more cold wet weather. Not ideal for spraying. Realizing that there will be decent weather sooner or later, still concerned about dealing with all the leaves as well as how effective the app will be. Using granular fert, liquid herb. Any input on this would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. atouchofnature

    atouchofnature LawnSite Member
    Messages: 206

    With most broadleaf herbicides you are ok as long as soil temperatures are above 55 degrees. If the soil temp is slightly below that and you get a day with air temperatures in the 60 degree range, you should still get acceptable control. I wouldn't consider it a completely lost cause until the soil temp dips into the upper 40's and you are out of 55 plus days. The lower the soil & air temp, the lower your success rate will be. Mix at the highest labeled rate.

    If significant leaves are on the ground, you will need to get them out of the way. I always use a blower to clear half the lawn, spray that half, then blow the leaves over to the sprayed half so that I can spray the second half. It takes a lot longer, but is faster than actually removing all of the leaves.

    Good luck
  3. Grandview

    Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI
    Messages: 3,251

    As long as the ground is not frozen and air temp is above 35 I would spray. I spray until November. I do it every year with excellent results. My results are not reduced because of cold. I think it helps. I do not increase my herbicide rate either. I use mid to low rates.
  4. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,082

    We spray with very good results in the fall. Plants are actively sucking things into their root systems right now so getting the herbicides into them is primo.

    Granules would be risky now, wouldn't they?
    What if they don't get into the soil in time?

    My sprayer just did a major problem area a few days ago. No irrigation, so we had to wait for the rains to return, and that just happened recently.
    Next step - a dormant seeding and we a set for spring.
  5. grassman177

    grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,795

    no problems with control, jsut slower kills. leaves can be a problem though. use an ester or add sufactant to ensure great kill and spray away. i would put haste onto getting them done though.
  6. Laner

    Laner LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 349

    I have several fall apps to do yet as well. The weather late summer didn't help. I didn't start Fall apps until last week of Sept, due to dormant lawns from 3-4 weeks without rain. And since then it has been windy, wet and cold. The lawns I have sprayed appear to have good results on the weed control and the fert being used should put the lawns in good shape for early spring. I have had to blow leaves off lawns before to do an app....very time consuming. I am hoping to have some 60 degree days left yet before the end of Oct. I need about 1 week of good weather to finish apps! Good Luck!
  7. qserve

    qserve LawnSite Member
    Messages: 18

    Thanks to all for your input. Much appreciated.

Share This Page