Too late for Gly on Bermuda ?

DieselDennis

LawnSite Member
Gents,

I've got a what used to be bermuda lawn. I haven't ever really sprayed anything but Dimension. Now that I've got the dandelions under control, everything else is creeping in.

Is it too late to spray glyphosphate to kill everything before the bermuda comes out? I'm in the southern end of zone 7. The lows here are still in the 50s at night.

Whatdya think ?

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
Spraying gly will kill everything, but the bermuda will come back. Some will argue, but if you are ok with your lawn being brown a lot longer than everyone else then you are ok. Personally I wouldn't do it on a customer's lawn unless they understood the spraying during transition would stunt the new growth for a week or 2. You could always use metsulfuron or even celcius if you can wait a few weeks. I'm already seeing some green sprigs up here in NC and I imagine you are much warmer than us.

AnotherOkie

LawnSite Senior Member
I switched from gly to 3-way and some simizine for poa control. I am still running about 16 oz/acre of gly on a cemetery and some country churches that are more like pasture than turf.

kbrashears

LawnSite Senior Member
I bet you could drop to 12 oz per acre and get good results on kill with a 10-20'day delayed green up. I'm going to do a test on part of my yard Wednesday. I'm going to do 1k with 32, 1k with 16, and 1k with 12. NC State had a good study on this with pictures recently.

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I did a bid for a new client that has bermuda - although you wouldn't know it from the henbit, clover, and other weeds. We discussed his options and agreed that I would spray something that would kill everything even if it stunts the bermuda green up. Due to the number of weeds that would be the best route to ensure all got killed.

I was thinking of going the gly route and most times use 1-1.5 qts per acre. With temps in the 70s and mixing the gly with prodiamine and 80/20 would you stick with 1 qt/acre or could/would you go lower?

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
I am not comfortable applying gly on "dormant" Bermuda here in GA...it doesn't go fully dormant,

I need another year or two under my belt before I do this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
Other than it being cheap, why do people still like using gly? We have Celcius and Revolver for Bermuda that will get about everything the gly will but cannot harm the Bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
If the Bermuda is fully dormant gly will kill all weeds and very cheap. Golf courses do this here. Celcius is great but u can only spray twice a year because of max yearly rate. I save celcius for summer apps.
Posted via Mobile Device