Too Late for Grub Control?

grassman10

LawnSite Member
While most lawns in my area have really greened up lately due to the recent heavy rain and cool nights, a good part of my front lawn is a mess - fairly browned out with weeds moving in.

My back lawn is in very good shape. I treat both lawns the same and recent soil tests on the front had good results, so I don't think the problem is poor fertilizer treatment.

As I sit writing this note, I am watching a few robins running around the front lawn with what I believe are grubs hanging out of their beaks. We've also seen an uptick in beetles on the door screens and in our small pool.

I will go grub hunting out front today, but am thinking grub treatment is in order. I am in SW Connecticut -- is it too late for Merit-based treatment?

Thanks.

OP
G

grassman10

LawnSite Member
Very helpful -- thank you for posting that link. My Mets have the same record as your Sox right now.

I just went out front, pulled back some turf, and sure enough, found several very small grubs. Obviously would have been better if I put down the Merit a few weeks ago, but hopefully the application I put down this evening before tonight's rain will have an impact.

Am open to any other thoughts...

OP
G

grassman10

LawnSite Member
So I put down Bayer Season Long Grub Control (Merit) last evening, just before expected heavy rain here in SW Connecticut. Of course we only ended up with about .10 inch of rain.

Directions say to water within 24 hours to avoid stressing the lawn. I know a half inch of watering makes the application more effective, but is the .10 inch of rain we got last night enough to minimize the stress? We live on a well and watering to .5 inch is not an option.

We are expecting more rain on Sunday -- hopefully can wait until then rather than watering now.

Thanks.

RedSox4Life

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'd be watering ASAP, not to avoid stress, but to get the product in the soil and improve efficacy.....especially since you're late in the ideal window.

OP
G

grassman10

LawnSite Member
Thanks for your reply. We are on a well that probably won't support all the watering that's necessary without a ton of work and stress on the well pump. I just wanted to see if the .10 inch of rain we got last night is enough to minimize the stress (since the granules would have soaked up the rain water rather than the moisture from the grass blades). If not, I will try to add some more water to the lawn. If last night's rain does alleviate the stress, then I think we'll just wait until this weekend's rain.

Thanks again.

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Hit it again in late aug early sept when the eggs are layed, best time of the year to kill them. you wanna get rid of the eggs now, so they are not a bigger problem next year
Posted via Mobile Device

Russo Power Equipment

LawnSite Member
Our recommended insecticide for prevention of grubs is imidacloprid, so merit is a great option. Beetles typically lay eggs towards the end of summer. The best time to apply merit is late summer/early fall- right before the eggs hatch and the grubs start feeding, which is when they are most vulnerable.

Top Forums