• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Too late to overseed?

what kinda grass seed mix are you using. most turf seed mix's are perenial rye grass so shouldnt be much of a problem , just dont expect to see an overwhealming appearing in another few weeks prolly wont see a difference till spring. think the germination rate drops 20% per year with seed from what i remember could be wrong though

befnme

LawnSite Bronze Member
competitiveimageland said:
what kinda grass seed mix are you using. most turf seed mix's are perenial rye grass so shouldnt be much of a problem , just dont expect to see an overwhealming appearing in another few weeks prolly wont see a difference till spring. think the germination rate drops 20% per year with seed from what i remember could be wrong though

you should not have a problem if you use winter rye , it should be out of the ground with a thick cover in about 2 weeks with descent irrgation .

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
At this time of year I feel it is best to do the soil work now before the ground freezes, then hold off on the actual seed until your area is past the germination window.... in other words, dormant seeding.

That is, if it is fescue you are talking about....

lawnprosteveo

LawnSite Bronze Member
The landscaper said:
Is it too late to overseed in the next couple weekends?
All the things I have read and heard say its ok to overseed fescue and rye now. If it goes dormant before it has a chance to get going, then it will come up in the spring. :cool:

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
befnme said:
envy i think he means like a cover crop or a green winter lawn .
Yeah, thought of that and had to edit....