Too much compeition in your area?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Feb 7, 2004.

1. mowinmoney

mowinmoney LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

We startl out with about 10-20 new lco in the ads and I guess they don't realize the season goes 30 weeks. They don't realize without proper equipement its hard to make money...they are usually gone the next year but there are 10-20 new lco's the next year with the equipment the previous years lco's sold them.
    I guess mowing for $15 a lawn gets old...

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

When it comes to competition, the only thing I worry about is looking better, sounding better and doing better than they do. Anyone can place an ad in the newspaper but I won't do it. The people looking in the paper aren't the clients I want. As a matter of fact, when I come across people that don't want to pay my prices or aren't the types of jobs I want, I recommend they look through the paper. Chances are they will find someone that will give them the $15 cut they are looking for. I want my accounts to look better then a $15 cut provides.

3. OP
    OP
    alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

lol .. those guys are the ones who didn't research the field they are going into.. It could be year round if you had commercial accounts and some residentials and then landscape installs such as waterponds, garden beds, the landscapng stuff!

4. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

counted 254 in the phone book alone (to much time on my hands?) who knows how many weekend warriors.

5. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

In the greater Portsmouth/Dover New Hampshire area I've only seen a handful of ads for lawncare in the local papers...anyone from NH on this site who can give me an idea of how much competition there is here?

Getting started, as I am, I've questioned as many people as I could find about work in this area, mostly from the Exmark and Gravely dealers, as well from one LCO business owner, and the general consensus is that LCO's are trying to download work to each other. Any input? Tony

6. OP
    OP
    alpine692003

well from what I heard from my dealers, there is lots of work available in our area!

The demand is so high for landscaping/lawn care companies that people have to pass work onto their competition!

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

competition is not a problem there is plenty of work for every one.

Heres what you need to do don't try to get 100 cut customers.
    If you get 20 full service customers to spend an average of 10,000.0
    a year you do the math.

8. OP
    OP
    alpine692003

Thats true!

if you have a customer already, just keep them happy!