Too much fertilizer? Not enough?

krjMass

LawnSite Member
Hoping for some help. Fairly new construction. Lawn established last year (builder put seed down in July - but lot of glass in the loam so we hired a landscaper to scrape up and start over - been trying to catch up since). I believe landscaper used Lesco Transition seed. I over-seeded in the Fall with Scotts Sun and Shade. This Spring, I tried to overseed as well. Put down crabgrass preventer with halts early Spring and then seed and starter fertilizer about 6 weeks later. Late Spring, put down an application of milorganite in the front yard only. Front yard is mostly sun. Back yard gets some shade. Back yard seems to be doing considerably better. Was worried to didn't get enough fertilizer down based on front yard, but there is still some green areas, with what I think brown patch and red thread starting to work it's way in. I'm a newbie, trying to figure it out so could use a little help. Thanks.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Front.png
    Front.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 52

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
All the fertilizer in the world won't help without adequate water.

What seed is actually in the seeds you put down. Sun and shade typically has rye which is a cool season grass and doesn't do well in blazing heat and sun.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
First off - initially seeding in July was about the worst time to seed. Its too hot. Seeding in the fall is best

Overseeding in the fall was correct on your part.

Your mistake was in the spring. You cant put pre emergent down and then put grass seed down. If the pre emergent is working properly it will prohibit the seed from germinating.

The backyard is doing better because it has shade and does not need as much water. Its not a fert issue or a disease issue its a water issue.

At minimum your lawn needs 1 inch of water per week. In the super hot months even more.

OP
K

krjMass

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the replies.
Builder didn't do us any favors putting down seed in July, so we were behind from the get go, trying to undo damage that occurred (mostly weeds and crabgrass). Was hoping that Spring overseeding was long enough after pre-emergent that we'd at least get something We had a Hunter Pro-C irrigation System installed this past Fall when we tried to start things right. . Running this Spring at 20 minutes per zone (we have a water ban right now, so even days watering).

Top Forums