1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tool box on trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SJR Lawncare, Dec 10, 2000.

1. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You guys who have a tool box on the tongue of your trailer, Does the box hit the truck on tight turns? Or if an inexperienced driver tries to backup & jack knifes the trailer close to the truck??
    Thanks
    SJR

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think that will depend on your tongue length. The one I had on mine didn't hit with my new trailer because the tongue was longer.

Homer

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Funny you ssid that,ive had my toolbx mounted on the tongue of my trailer for 3 months,I tow it atleast 2-3 times a week,This week,I asked my brother-in law to unhook it for me,and he jackkifes it and destroys the tool box,all in less than 10 seconds behind the wheel.A**hole,he has driven my truck 100's of times,even with the trailer,Im glad it was a tuffbox,i got on sale for only 35,It ticked me off.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My tool box is a little longer, than the tongue is wide. I got a smaller box so it wouldn't get crushed on tight turns. My trailer dealer wanted to sell me one that was 6 feet long, but I knew that was an accident waiting to happen.

5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't matter as much how long the tongue is, but how wide the box is. I added racks to hold a BP blower and sprayers, so they come off. The BP's interfere with the lid. Haven't figured out what to do instead yet. Maybe a truck box in the bed?

6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I sacrificed a little room on my trailer for a 1.5x6 tool box. Its about 2 ft high and works great for putting anything in. I can fit all my tools, extra blades, one of my hand held blowers and a string trimmer inside. Threw a lock on it and its money!! Thought about the tongue idea, but then realized it would be better right on the trailer.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Queerstion???????????????????????????????

Has anyone mounted a box under their trailer, in frt of the axles?

When I built flatbeds for a living we mounted them all the time. I think if I could find a small enough profile box it would work.

Homer