• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Tool racks, show off your homemade!

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
I bought a new trailer and am looking for ideas for fabricating tool racks for rakes, shovels, homemade trimmer racks etc.

Fabricator's here's your opportunity to show off , please impress us with clever ideas.

So far I have fabricated a box for the front using 2"x2" angle iron and expanded metal for my blower and tool box. I am now working on a 4'X5' side gate using the same material.When I finish the complete project and paint I will post pictures.

I started with a light 5'X14' trailer so everything will be behind my truck. I am also beefing the tongue and some of the undercarriage. Although the new trailer I bought is cheap and light I believe it is a good starting point as I am doubtful I could buy the steel , and the rest of the parts for what I paid.

anotherturfgeek

LawnSite Member
Boy aint that the truth about the price of metal. You have to be creative in finding it.
I bought about 2 tons of angle iron from a farm outfit that went out of business at auction for a song. (all of our scrap metal is shipped to china!)

Hawg City Lawns

LawnSite Bronze Member
I bought a new trailer and am looking for ideas for fabricating tool racks for rakes, shovels, homemade trimmer racks etc.

Fabricator's here's your opportunity to show off , please impress us with clever ideas.

So far I have fabricated a box for the front using 2"x2" angle iron and expanded metal for my blower and tool box. I am now working on a 4'X5' side gate using the same material.When I finish the complete project and paint I will post pictures.

I started with a light 5'X14' trailer so everything will be behind my truck. I am also beefing the tongue and some of the undercarriage. Although the new trailer I bought is cheap and light I believe it is a good starting point as I am doubtful I could buy the steel , and the rest of the parts for what I paid.
will putting a side gate on throw off the balance of the trailer and put too much weight on that one side when empty?

Cooter

LawnSite Senior Member
Just be careful when adding a side ramp. Make sure it has a full tongue back to the axles. Most cheaper trailers do not and rely on the strength of the angle iron side rails for support.

OP
D

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
Just be careful when adding a side ramp. Make sure it has a full tongue back to the axles. Most cheaper trailers do not and rely on the strength of the angle iron side rails for support.
I am beefing from the tongue all the way back to at least the axles. Thanks for the heads up though.The whole project besides paint and rewiring should be done tomorrow. Today we completed two boxes aft of the fenders and racks for rakes/shovels. Fabricating from scratch is REALLY time consuming even with good tools.