Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I did 13 today. Temp was around 102, heat index was around 110........felt more like 175!

I am moving the h*** away from Oklahoma when I retire. Going North!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Clients are walking out all day saying it is too hot to be mowing, but these may be the same clients that call if we are not there, asking" What's up?"

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I had one client tell me Wensday I was crazy as h-ll for being out in the heat doing his yard, he was affraid I was going to drop in his yard. Told me to come back later and finish, I assured him I was conditioned for it ( :p ) It was like 100 with 90% humidity and I was dragging big time. Worst week I have had so far with the heat. Have not made it past 1:00PM anyday this week.

·
Registered
380 Posts
lawnprosteveo said:
My wife and I did 13 today. Temp was around 102, heat index was around 110........felt more like 175!

I'm in Minnesota, its just as bad this year. There talking a heat index of 105 today. Its the hottest summer here in 20 years.

·
Registered
799 Posts
lawnprosteveo said:

Yes, Steve it was hot yesterday. We also did 13 or 14, and then went in for the day. We finished up by noon today. We had 23 to do, but my main guy asked if he could have the day off Fri! I shoud've said no, but I didn't. The heat is beginning to slow me down, we also need some good rain. Tony

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Tomorrow temp is suppose to be 105 degrees with a heat index of 115. I think the same for Monday too. :angry: :realmad:

·
Registered
949 Posts
lawnprosteveo said:

I started calling clients on wednesday to inform them that we were ending operations @ 1:00pm and that their service may be delayed. Strange thing is that the grass is growing like mad and none of my clients are watering or fertilizing.
Only one customer complained and she was a new one and it was the first mow. Was a bit overgrown and she was anxious to get it done. Something I usually don't do, I moved an established client and did the new one yesterday morning. Nice me huh? :dizzy:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
95 Here Index Of 105 We Work 8:30 To 5:30 And Take Frequent Breaks With Gatoraid.got A Tip For Yall.if Ya Have A Cooler For Drinks That Ya Put Your Hands In All Day,once In A While Stick Your Hands AND WRISTS All The Way In For 5 Seconds Or So.this Will Cool Your Whole Body Down Safely.there Was A Guy Here In Nc That Put Ice Cold Water On His Head And It Busted His Head Wide Open And He Died,yall Be Safe Out There.

·
Registered
95 Posts
First time in four years that I have ever fell out. Walking back to the truck started enjoying all the gatorade I had drank. I managed to make it to some shade but never felt like it was all over before. Becareful everyone.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not bad humidity but we had an overcast a night or so ago that held the heat in. Never cooled off below 88 degrees and then the sun broke thru to take us to 107 degrees :cry:
I was never so happy to be riding our new z turn Ariens than right then.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Same as here in North East Texas I have been getting out early around 6:30 AM and and quiting after I do 3 yards which by then it is 11:00 to 12:00 noon .Wife done warned me not to get too hot or I would have her to answer to And I have a hard time understander her when she really gets mad and starts talking her native language, Deutsch I know that I have really screwed up and upset her. We are way behind on rain here so grass not growing much and what you do mow turns brown in a couple of days if that long heat index here Thur was 108 degrees no let up in sight

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I can agree with lawnsprosteveo about the heat and humidity today in Oklahoma. I live about 45 miles southeast of Tulsa and it was just plain miserable yesterday and today after 12:00 PM.

There's nothing any of us can do about the weather when it is like this except drink plenty of water and/or gatoraid and don't overdo yourself.

We got some relief this evening from a thunderstorm . Haven't had any rain since the 4th of July. But when I pulled in the driveway this evening after the rain I had my air conditioner on in the truck and stepped out and my glasses fogged over. Hah.

Nosmo

·
Registered
186 Posts
yeah, its hot, its humid, whats new. sorry to be the grump of the bunch, but come on guys, every year, from the months of june to september, everyone is out there sweating and working in 95+ temps, y'all aren't use to it? i was use to it by the time i was 18, and 4 years later, i work from 9-8ish mon-fri and i'll be damned if i give the sun the pleasure of hearing me complain. although in feb. i left the green buisness to work on a ranch and everyonce in a while do some tree work on the side, it still doesn't make it any cooler outside. anyways maybe instead of sharing heat indexes and record high temps, lets share tips on staying safe, so here goes:

-if you piss alot during the day, you're drinking enough water
-you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water if you're NOT NOT NOT sweating, key word, not, so drink alot of water!
-keep your hair short, no one likes a long haired hippie working for 'em anyways
-if you stop sweating, somethings wrong
-don't be stupid

so yeah, anyone else got anything else other then the whole light clothing crap? i wear wranglers and long sleeve shirt when i'm throwing hay from the barn (165degrees), so screw that clothes things, someone lets hear some good adivse, real good advise

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.