1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Top Dressing application question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gsmith4965, Sep 22, 2017.

1. gsmith4965

gsmith4965 LawnSite Member

I would like to renovate a lawn in need of organic matter. I would like to top dress with compost/loam but do not have access to a top dressing spreader.

Has anyone ever tried using a tailgate spreader used for snow/ice control?? I have a receiver hitch on a tractor that could accommodate such a spreader.

Welcome any ones comments

Thank you

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I would expect the compost would clog up that type of spreader.
    Depending on how large your lawn is, it's not that hard to spread by hand.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Grassholes likes this.
  3. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe I have heard of guys having success by putting the compost in a wheel barrow and using a backpack blower or leaf blower to blow it from the wheel barrow onto the lawn. This is something I read here a couple of years ago and they seem happy with the results.

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Silver Member

Someone here recently posted pictures of scattering topdressing before slit seeding. The slit seeder did a pretty good job of pulling the material around evenly. I remember thinking his results could have been evn better by using a drag mat as his final step. Good luck with your project.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Yes this works well. Be sure to wear a dust mask.