Top Dressing in the winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chadflys, Dec 2, 2019.

1. chadflys

chadflys LawnSite Member

This next summer I want to have a nice level lawn so I can cut it shorter. I've always seen golf courses do top dressing on the greens in the very early spring. I have limited time so I was thinking I could do my yard in sections through the winter and be finished up when the spring arrived. I'm in Arkansas where it rains a lot in the spring. I planned on over seeding the area's that needed the most sand to level so it wouldn't wash away. Your thoughts are appreciated. It rains so freaking much it might wash away anyways....

Charles

2. jdmccay

jdmccay LawnSite Member

The reason you top dress in the spring is because you want to have quick growth and germination. The faster the grass starts growing the less time you have bare dirt that can wash away. Other than that, it shouldn't be an issue to do it in the winter. Just be aware that you may have to go back and touch up a few spots that washed away or blew away in the wind before you over seed.

Ymmv though. I'm in a much colder climate where things quit growing at Halloween and don't start again until spring.

Cam15 and rlitman like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    chadflys

chadflys LawnSite Member

Thanks! Those were exactly my thoughts. I can get the bigger uneven spots filled and overseeded with a winter grass and touch up in the spring and overseed with some good burmuda a little before the winter grass wants to die.

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Gold Member

I think it might be a little overly-ambitious to try and level out a piece of ground in just a few month's. If you topdress to more than 1/4" thickness at a time, especially without the bermuda actively growing thru it, you run a very real risk of smothering that grass.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.