Top Producing/Converting Contact Forms - Placement and Style

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by HetlandENT, Sep 13, 2017.

1. HetlandENT

HetlandENT LawnSite Member

Haven't been able to find much on this at all, and I figure I'm not the only one to benefit from asking. For those of you with frequently producing websites (generating leads, having contact forms filled out, etc.) what style contact form and/or placement do you attribute to converting best? Examples:
    - Global footer contact submission form.
    - Home page opt-in style pop up call to action.
    - Inline contact form.
    - Specific contact page.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I have a ton of contact forms on my website and I track visitor patterns using CrazyEgg. Here is what I have found:

No one (ok, barely anyone) scrolls to the footer.
    Keep your inline contact forms as small/easy as possible. On my home page and major service pages I only ask for an email address.
    No one uses the contact forms on my blog posts or portfolio pages.
    I don't use popups because I don't like them.
    I also have a Contact page with a more detailed form.
    The Contact page form attracts the most serious, high $$ clients, converts very well.
    The inline forms don't convert as well but deliver about half of my leads.

Hope that helps!

HetlandENT likes this.
  3. HetlandENT

Awesome, that is exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. I too am not a fan of the popup optins, I rarely ever read them. There are so many websites that say they increase leads but I do not find them attractive. I'm happy to hear your contact page is the lead producer for you. I do have one question on that. Lets say you have an inline quote saying "Free quote" with a button, does that button lead to your contact page or do you simply put in the email and comment box on whatever page it may be? Bascially do you drive your traffic to your contact page from other pages, or do users just naturally look for the contact page to get a hold of you? I appreciate the replys!

4. islandpro

islandpro LawnSite Member

One contact form to the right and above the fold. Most of our target market has been reading newspapers and magazines for decades so you might as well take advantage of that conditioning.

Instead of asking for an email only, we ask for everything we need to schedule an estimate with first contact. If you're only asking for an email, this is fine if you want to cultivate your leads through a pre-qualification process like an e-course or something. We don't. It's a waste of our time and our clients time if the first contact is just trying to establish what their phone number is and what they actually want and where they are located etc...

Rather than waste that time we grab all that data in one-shot so when we phone them it's basically to setup a time or decline the work because we're too busy.

The majority of our visitors do not go to the contact page, they just use the form that is clearly visible on every page or they tap-to-call, also visible on every page.

5. HetlandENT

This is a good point about the target market being conditioned to reading newspapers, I never thought of that, but now that you say that it makes me want to rearrange my website a bit. I appreciate the reply

6. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I use a mix of both approaches. Most of my service pages are pretty long. So, at the top of the page (to the right, as IslandPro has thoroughly convinced me) I will have my email-only contact form. But, as people scroll down the page I will usually have another call-to-action (either a button or just linked text) and that one will link to my contact page.

However- people by now expect you to have a contact form on your contact page, so I find it to be one of the most clicked links in my main menu.

Basically, just make it as easy as possible for people to contact you regardless of device they are on.

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Similar to the others, we've experimented for years and, by far, the top 2 converting form locations are:

1. Above the folk on the home page
    2. top right sidebar on sub pages​

Contact Us forms, when other form placements are readily available, get hilariously few clicks.

With that in mind, one sea change we're seeing impact this is the idea of mobile-first, full-width, no sidebar, design. When the full-width form is up high, depending on how many fields we're collecting, it can create an awkward flow. When it's placed lower, or above the footer, we're seeing that, depending on page length, they're not getting seen, which then brings the Contact Us form usage back into play.

We also place CTA forms within the content and those do well.

Basically, place them anywhere but someplace you really have to scroll to or hunt for and be sure that mobile is not an afterthought.

8. EverGrow Marketing

EverGrow Marketing LawnSite Member

Another thing that has proven to convert better for form fills is simply the CTA you use.

Word Stream has a great blog on A/B testing done with using different CTAs on their form fills. Check it out:

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2016/11/07/conversion-sabotaging-words?camplink=searchresults

For instance, instead of using a word like "Submit", say, "Get My Estimate!"

The study also showed that using words on CTAs from the customer's perspective like, "Me" and "My", yielded higher conversion rates than "You and Your".