1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

top soil seed growth

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by extremerc76, Jul 2, 2007.

1. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

ok i did a top soil job about a month ago and the customer called me asking what type of soil i put down and where i got it and a bunch of other questions. so i asked him why he needed to know the dirts history. he then begin complaining to me that the dirt i used is "low grade" and that he can't get grass seed to grow in it. i asked him what type of seed he was using, he tells me "it's some old seed he got for free somewhere years ago"???? i told him i could either plant seed in my "low grade" soil and get it to come up fine, or he could go buy a bag of scotts turfbuilder (current year) and spread that.

the soil i used was 3/8 screened top soil purchased for $30/yard, i only used 2 yards for the enitire job (small area) put on about 1" thick

am i correct about using "old seed that you have no idea where it came from" could be the reason that it would not grow?

thanks kevin

2. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

Quality grass seed is an issue when it comes to germination. Use quality seed, get good soil contact, use a starter fertilizer, appropriate water, and your good to go!

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

the term you are looking for is VIGOR seed vigor or is't shelf life their is no uniform measurement for it but seed is usually good for 2-3 years max