Top speed on Hydrogear-3100 hydros coming up short.

speedster

LawnSite Member
I have a Gravely ZTHD-60 with 3100 hydros with a speed rating of 8mph. I understand this is probably overestimated but I'm curious of I could have something going on with my Gravely.

In a nutshell. The mower is great. Aside from a failed spring tensioner at 14 hours, it runs and cuts wonderfully. I have some rough areas in my backyard where the speed is not important. Bit my front lawn is very smooth and I'd like to get the most out of the mower. I checked the mowing speed with a GPS and was getting between 5.5 and 6mph. So there is some speed left on the table.

Is it common for this type of mower to be about 20 percent off the rated speed or is there something I should be looking at on the mower to help me get the most out of it? Belt tension? Hydro adjustment?

JP in KC

LawnSite Member
Is that Gravely's claim or Hydrogear's claim? Tire diameter could affect the top speed, so if Hydrogear says 8 mph with a certain tire size and Gravely installs a tire smaller than that it would be slower.

OP
S

speedster

LawnSite Member
8mph is Gravely's claim. It's written on their website and in their advertising literature. The tires are stock and I've not changed anything.

I'm just wondering if maybe something is not adjusted correctly that is keeping the mower from reaching it's full speed. It produces a great cut, stripes well, and is built like a tank. But my lawn is smooth enough that I would like it to perform up to its potential. Decrease my cutting ti.e even more.