Lawn Care Forum banner

TopChoice Issues this Season?

906 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ETM 
#1 ·
I've used TopChoice for years as the primary treatment for fire ants. I've had good results for many years with only a few active mounds pop from time to time. This season is an exception. I have had nearly every customer have breakthrough. I've observed it is almost exclusively along concrete sidewalks and driveways, along foundations, borders, rock, and so forth. I am almost sure those areas get a proper rate and perhaps a little more since any overspread is blown back onto the lawn.

Something else that is interesting. Fipronil is NOT supposed to be repellant. I've had the same customers for years and treated with TopChoice. Many of the ants mound in almost the EXACT same spots 5 - 6 months post treatment. Why is it not KILLING them? Seems like it is breaking down and the ants now move up. I don't know the answer.

Anyone care to share their experience? Thoughts?

Yes, Bayer sends the Maxforce bait - but it's just lousy. I'm frustrated. I can usually get good control on drenching with Bifen I/T but it is just another step in an already busy day.

Any new thoughts on the Quali-Pro product? I can't imagine any better long-term control.

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
We do the “2 step” but definitely had some Breakthrough with the rain. I had much more breakthrough with the generic product. I’m thinking about switching to the two or three app per season products, but the price break is still better for brand-name top choice.

#7 ·
We do the "2 step" but definitely had some Breakthrough with the rain. I had much more breakthrough with the generic product. I'm thinking about switching to the two or three app per season products, but the price break is still better for brand-name top choice.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I hate to go that route from an efficiency standpoint. What products are you considering for 2 - 3 apps? Some have such a low application rate they require a different spreader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.