TopChoice Issues this Season?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by WeedManWeatherford, Oct 17, 2017.

1. WeedManWeatherford

WeedManWeatherford LawnSite Member

I've used TopChoice for years as the primary treatment for fire ants. I've had good results for many years with only a few active mounds pop from time to time. This season is an exception. I have had nearly every customer have breakthrough. I've observed it is almost exclusively along concrete sidewalks and driveways, along foundations, borders, rock, and so forth. I am almost sure those areas get a proper rate and perhaps a little more since any overspread is blown back onto the lawn.

Something else that is interesting. Fipronil is NOT supposed to be repellant. I've had the same customers for years and treated with TopChoice. Many of the ants mound in almost the EXACT same spots 5 - 6 months post treatment. Why is it not KILLING them? Seems like it is breaking down and the ants now move up. I don't know the answer.

Anyone care to share their experience? Thoughts?

Yes, Bayer sends the Maxforce bait - but it's just lousy. I'm frustrated. I can usually get good control on drenching with Bifen I/T but it is just another step in an already busy day.

Any new thoughts on the Quali-Pro product? I can't imagine any better long-term control.

Thanks!

2. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Might need to rotate to another chemical. Resistance to top choice would be my guess.

3. WeedManWeatherford

May be so... Question is what to try...

4. ETM

from Georgia

Bifenthren is what we use. No issues so far.

5. AGRinATX

AGRinATX LawnSite Member

We do the “2 step” but definitely had some Breakthrough with the rain. I had much more breakthrough with the generic product. I’m thinking about switching to the two or three app per season products, but the price break is still better for brand-name top choice.

6. WeedManWeatherford

What formulation, rate, and frequency?

7. WeedManWeatherford

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I hate to go that route from an efficiency standpoint. What products are you considering for 2 - 3 apps? Some have such a low application rate they require a different spreader.

8. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Anyone tried to spray fipronil? Haven't checked if legal but it is much cheaper than topchoice.

9. AGRinATX

AGRinATX LawnSite Member

Siesta is the only one I can remember right now, the rest are in my paperwork.

10. ETM

from Georgia

I was using the granular.069%. Monthly. Swiched to bifen xts 25%. Good stuff. Treated for fleas 3 months ago and haven’t had any problems since