1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Topdressing of Bermuda Lawn With River Sand

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by chaser2587, Jun 6, 2010.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I purchased 3 gallon lorapatelums for $14 at a local nursery and at the same nursery I got a B&B natchez that was about 15' tall for $80...it had a 2.5' tall by 3' wide rootball.

Growers had 3 gallon tea olives for $12 and I picked one up for the rear deck...I have never smelled a tree that smelled so good, look into banana bushes, they smell good too...purchased 3 of them for $6 each and they were 3 gallon too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cgaengineer

Give it 4 days and you will see a green fuzz...did you get the fert down?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure about the tea olives. But my 3 gals on loro's are 8.50 and they are filled in nicely. But in turn, I pay out of the arse on other types of shrubs you pay pennys for.

I hope the Jap maples are in and available. I will be traveling to Loganville. Might even go to the dekalb farmers market before hand and go to loganville on the way back.

4. cgaengineer

Call them and make sure they have some before you head this way. If for some reason you can't make it I can pick up a couple for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cgaengineer

I did get some 3 gallon indian hawthorne at a nursery that was going out of business, they looked pretty bad when I got them and a year later almost dead with a fungus but I treated them and fertilized and they bounced back nicely...growing like crazy now!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

Ill let you know. If they have them, I am going to probably get 6 or 8. I also want to get some of their knockout roses and lantana. Crazy deals there.

I am taking a vac day from the fire house on weds. Today is my 1 year wedding anniversary. So we need a little excuse to take a day trip to atlanta or somewhere. So I am definately going some where Thurs or Fri.

7. cgaengineer

Yes their lantana is a deal...catch them at the end of the season and you can get some good deals on hastas. Last year I got 3" pots for $.50 each. Best deal yet were sky pencils for 3 for $10 one gallon size and 3 foot tall.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

We totally hijacked Mr. Mosleys thread, sorry Chase!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

No. The ground/sand is waaaay to soft after all of the rain. Although this morning it was pretty green and less sand showing. I plan on hitting it with the fert tomorrow.

10. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

That's ok, I will forgive you. You know I wouldn't let just anyone hijack my thread...